CHAPTER 12: The Buddy Bot

[PART 2: .....GUP.....]

Let's take a moment to appreciate what happens when someone moves from one Layer of Space to another, shall we?

First of all, every particle of the lucky or unlucky someone is both disassembled and reassembled. All of them. It's like this: imagine that you were to break a vase by dropping it from seven stories up. Next, the vase gets glued back together, but also repainted and redesigned and made out of a completely different material. Now imagine that that vase was a big bag of human flesh and bones. Anyhow, the result always hurts, and leaves its subject changed.

***

The whole process left Theodore with a terrible headache. But he'd made it to Gup. Which, depending on how high up you are, looks a bit like this:

Now let's be clear, when Theodore had moved up and down the stairs of the House of the Magician Detective, he was only moving through Layers in the softest sense

Now let's be clear, when Theodore had moved up and down the stairs of the House of the Magician Detective, he was only moving through Layers in the softest sense. In a rare place like the House, it's like a long corridor with several extremely evocative windows. You are as close as you could ever be to that next Layer, but not quite there, like a kind of impossible zoo where when you see the penguins, the whole room turns to ice. When someone goes through a true door and lands in another Layer, everything is different – including their body and their watch. They are among the penguins.

Theodore had little chance of perceiving such nuance. Between each aching throb in his head, he was barely able to notice that he had landed upside down and squarely inside a large metallic cage by way of falling out of a tree. Many years before, the tree had been a far more hospitable little treehouse where lots of fine teas and cookies had been served. But such pretense was long since abandoned, and it was now a nefarious and ineffective trap.

Somewhere above him, a red light glared. In tandem with an ear-splitting bell, it then turned a color that neither Theodore nor you have a word for. Put plainly, in Gup there is a color that cannot be perceived in other Layers, and as such, it's a little hard to explain. It lives next to purple, but it's like you turned up purple's volume all the way and it got invaded by neon and sugar. Unofficially, we call it Astro-delphi, or delf for short.

After a few dizzying minutes staring at the previously unknown wave of light, Theodore was able to perceive that there was something sharp sticking into the general area that he imagined to be his spleen. It was more a discomfort than an injury, but contributed even more to his general disorientation.

"Ouch," he heard, and wondered if he had somehow said the word without willing his mouth to move. Anything was possible in a new Layer of Space. He doubted it, though, but in turning his attention to his mouth realized that it felt like two pieces of sandpaper zhooshing against one another after a long night of carpentry. He experimented opening and closing his jaw and wondered if he had eaten some glue before leaving the Magician Detective's Office. Dehydration is another fun side effect of traveling between Layers.