Chapter 20: Sock Puppet City

From 'Very Fine High Tea with The Queen' to 'Most Excellent Pretend Tea with Circle of Stuffed Animal Friends,' there are an infinite variety of tea parties in and amongst The 7 Layers of Space,

But there is one thing that nearly all tea times, even those of sock puppets, have in common – a sense of dignity. And there is nothing less dignified than having two creatures illegally and unexpectedly crash-land in the middle of yours. Right before the biscuits are served, no less.

***

Theodore and Terrycloth Green found themselves suddenly flopped onto an ornate and somehow elegant cardboard table that stretched further than Theodore could figure in both directions. On every side of it was a contorted sock puppet face either screaming or yelling. Having just arrived from another dimension by way of a picture frame, the overall effect for Theodore was jarring. He didn't have a chance to check his fingers and toes for damage, though if he had, he would have been disappointed.

He had little time to consider anything at all. Before he could re-interpret which direction was up, Terrycloth Green was in his face and pulling him upward and forward. But the strange thing was, Terrycloth Green didn't have any arms to pull him with – he was now a living and moving terrycloth sock puppet.

 But the strange thing was, Terrycloth Green didn't have any arms to pull him with – he was now a living and moving terrycloth sock puppet

"This... is weird..." Theodore managed to say through a mouth that felt bigger and somehow flappier than normal.

The table-top they landed on was an exercise in pure chaos, a typhoon of toppling tiny chipped china dishes and thimbles of tea and screaming little socks. One sock puppet in particular at the head of the table could be heard best above the din. She wore a crudely hand-cut yellow crown and her face was smeared with make-up, as if a child or a sleeping bear had applied and prepared both decorations. "Terrycloth Green!" she shouted, "I'll have you stuffed and hung from the ceiling fan! I'll eat you alive myself! Get that forbidden criminal!"

 "Terrycloth Green!" she shouted, "I'll have you stuffed and hung from the ceiling fan! I'll eat you alive myself! Get that forbidden criminal!"

As Theodore moved, he noticed something strange in addition to his mouth. His entire body felt even more foreign than usual. As they struggled forward through the shouting partygoers they shot past a lengthy mirror and Theodore froze in place and joined the chorus of screams.