Chapter 4

Sitting across Tristan in an empty diner was definitely not on Ace's bucket list of living as a weak werewolf but as the saying went, shit happens when you least expect it or whatever else it meant

They both sat at the last end of the table-for-two that was arranged suspiciously romantically for couples next to a high tinted glass that gave a nice view of wolfhill pack square. Ace had a steaming cup of sugary tea in front of him while Tristan slowly sipped his iced coffee.

"Why'd you bring us here?" Ace got tired of the sickening silence that laced itself between and stared at Tristan's grip on the metal cup. It was tight enough to bend it.

"Needed you to get a calm mind." Tristan replied but in a rather low voice that riled up the rage Ace had been keeping since last night.

"Calm mind? A fucking calm mind? I'm being mated to the person I hate the most in my years of existing and just as I'm about to end things before it gets too late he stops me? As much as I would say I might be attracted to guys the last person I'd want to be with is you." Ace whispered loud enough for the both of them because he knew the baristas had wolf ears.

"You'll die if you reject me." Tristan announced out of the blue. Blood drained from Ace's face as his forehead wrinkled in surprise. The strangest reason he had heard since forever was this.

"What do you mean by that?" Ace finally got the courage to speak.

"My sister was mated to someone she wasn't in love with, she was also a weak wolf," Ace could see the longing look in his eyes. "She rejected him and became really ill, she died after a week." he completed. The sad look in his eyes almost made Ace want to curl him and whisper things to make him feel better but then again, he was reminded that he was an asshole.

"What has that got to do with me?" Ace asked, still not grabbing the whole story.

"I've been ignoring the mate pull since I knew you were my mate." Tristan confessed much to Ace's displeasure.

"You knew all along? And bullying me was your way of ignoring the mate pull between us?" Ace knew Tristan was a sick asshole but hearing this new information made him sicker, a sicker psychopath.

"I never bullied you. You always looked like you were tired of living and I had to make you want to fight every time." Tristan explained himself.

"I don't buy it, that's bullshit." Ace snorted in disbelief while staring out of the tinted glass. He was beginning to think Tristan was trying to make the mating process work and he hoped that was false because Tristan was a piece of shit.

"I'm just trying to keep us both alive, and we can let anyone because two males being together is definitely an outlaw." Tristan sighed and gulped the last drop of the coffee.

"What do you suggest then?" Ace asked and turned to him to read the look on his face. He looked lost, the same way he felt when he saw Tristan last night. As if having a crackly relationship with his parents was not enough, he had to be emotionally attracted to Tristan, the Tristan Lakewell who made his last junior year a living nightmare.

"What I've been doing for a year, ignore whatever shit the mate pull tries to pull." he suggested and Ace nodded knowing it would almost be impossible.

"You have to ignore me completely. That means you pretend I don't even exist." Ace suggested and Tristan nodded. He raised his head finally and noticed eyes were on them.

"See you, whenever." Ace grabbed his bag and walked out of the diner with a heavy heart of determination.

Sitting on the foyer of his house, he stared ahead with different thoughts racing through his fragile mind. The kiss Tristan shared with the other girl was particularly lingering in his head.

"Are you going to sit there all night." he flinched to his mother's question and stood up immediately, wiping dirt from his ass. "Let's just have dinner like a normal family now that your father's around." she pleaded and he nodded, knowing his father will fuck it up as usual.

"Bless the Goddess." his mother prayed and he plunged his fork into the mashed potatoes that tasted ordinary. The toast of love and care completely missing.

Few minutes into dinner," Who's the unfortunate girl you were paired with?" his father popped the question and he dropped his fork when he felt like he was about to choke.

"I-she's not from this pack." he replied with caution, avoiding his intense gaze.

"Nothing ever works out when it comes to you." he finally looked into his father's eyes and saw the disgusted look in his eyes.

He then looked away so his father would not comment on the tears that welled heavily in his eyes. It wasn't his fault that he was weak but his father always found a way to make him feel extremely guilty about existing.

"We try so hard to make the best out of you but you're not even grateful about it. You skip body building classes and every other class that has to do with developing your strength and fuck knows whatever bullshit you're doing at school." his father raged out but he continued to focus his stare on the picture of his parents on the wall and also realizing that his parents never took photos with him; he was a disappointment.

He locked eyes with his mother, expecting her to say a word or two and probably let her husband know that he was the biggest piece of shit anyone could ever come across. But of course he knew better than to rely on her, she was the biggest hypocrite to also collide with. They were perfect for each other. Two former athletes, one a dick and the other a hypocrite, got married and produced a pussyless cunt that no one gave a shit about except Sugar and probably a bit of Tristan.

"What's funny?" Ace quivered in fear when he registered that he was smiling involuntarily and shrugged. His appetite was long gone.

"I'm going to be-"

"Get the fuck out." his father ordered and he nodded and stood up, scraping the chair hard on the ground before heading to his room.

He could feel his throat closing up as he slid down the door of his room, wiping the tears that fell out traitorously. Looking down on the screen of his phone that rang loudly, he knew Sugar would come right away if he had tapped on the green button. Instead, he switched off his phone and attempted to put on a smile to avoid questions the next day but that didn't seem to work as his eyes bled with pain.

His cries were barely audible, like the soft whispers of trees on a cold lonely night. But each sweltering sob echoed the loud, resounding spasms of his heart.

 But each sweltering sob echoed the loud, resounding spasms of his heart