Part 1. Nightdream

15 April 2025
Stockbridge, Edinburgh

The dampy smell of spring covered the warm air in each step of the small town I reside, full of antique Georgian houses and mixedly modern spaces like coffee shops, flea markets, and the Stockbridge Middle School I have to attend daily, and gladly refuse to even mention during the weekends.

I've always been too weird to fit in the real world. Results I'm too weird to fit in school too. My mind navigates a lot too, and I somewhat worry a little about that. 'What if one day I take it too far?' is what I used to wonder, and I still sometimes do.

As spring break came to an end, the reality of returning to school loomed ahead. Even if I had to attend school today after such a long break, unlike some, I didn't mind the transition at all. Anything normal is out of character to me, but this time was just a little different. What I mean is... Walking out of school today felt strangely good.

I took the shortcut around the bushes block so I could save the money from today's fare. Which meant I had to do some streetwalk on my own. Something I used to do, but has been long since I've done.

My mom would kill me if she knows though.

Luckily, her new job won't allow her to spend much time home now, and I get to arrive without her checking if I actually took the bus to arrive.

I think she's the only one that does that, or rather I hope so. Since we don't live alone, she might've asked one of my cousins to check on me... but I don't think neither Nathanael, who's a bit older than me, nor Josiah, who's a year older, care that much. Although, Nathanael tends to bother me just because, without giving it much thought. Meh.

My aunt and my older brother work too, so no need for me to worry about them checking on me.

Today was my attempt to make a lucky strike and see if I could start saving some extra money from now on. For what? I don't even know. I really don't want to buy anything at all.

No reason, no ambition, I guess I just like money.

The path continued just as I remembered it to be. The sidewalks were old, and somewhat broken. They made me feel as if I'd be abducted in any moment through them. Around reigned quietness and a feeling of abandonement. The only exception was the sound caused by the contrast of my sneakers against its pavement and the faint sound of vehicles passing on the street on the other side.

I loved inhalating the calmness I felt with each step.

My backpack even weighed low despite the many books it carried inside.

I felt genuinely happy as I strode on my way back home today.

I guess that... More than happy, I felt normal for the first time in a long, long while. And for me, that moment was the most relevant thing. I could even dare say it defined my day.

So, when I fell asleep I never would've imagined that I would've dreamed what I just did.

It's not my favorite thing in the world to wake up panting, shaking and full of sweat.

My dream was not even a bloody scary nightmare to make me react this way.

I've calmed myself down a bit already, and I can only remember fragments of what I dreamt, but I clearly remember the sensation that covered me during this "dream."

It was like the morning path, but a strange darkness surrounded it. I usually don't mind darkness. What bothered me was the feeling that something was off as I took the same steps I knew I had traversed earlier.

The usually familiar street seemed twisted and distorted. Shadows stretched and contorted unnaturally.

I could hear whispers, like the wind carrying secrets I was not supposed to know.

As I walked, the feeling of being watched intensified. Every step made my heart beat faster.

Then, I turned a corner and the street faded as I fell into a dark pit that made me yell. The shadows hugged me, the whispers grew louder. I was desperately trying to fight them, but each movement was useless and weaker by each second.

The darkness was about to abduct me completely when I woke up.

I still feel tingles running through my fingertips and my heart beating crazy. The fact that I can still remember my dream, feel it vividly even after waking up... chills me to the bone. My hands are desperately clutching to the mattress and my eyes refuse to close again.

I take a look around my room. The darkness lingered through each and every corner, but that was just normal. Each figure that was there, even if not absolutely visible, was familiar.

I groped for the light switch, trying to bring more familiarity to my senses.

My eyes were not glad for the sudden outburst of light, but my breath eased as the room came to life. This was my room. I was safe...

I'm safe.

"Man..." I whispered to myself, my breath gradually returning to normal, and my grip on the sheets loosening.

I let out a heavy sigh as I heard my alarm ringing to wake me up. I was already awake, and I wasn't sure if that was fortunate or not.

Groaning, I reached over to silence the alarm, and my phone displayed Jessica Alba as my wallpaper, the time showing 6:31 in the morning. Reality crashed down upon me.

"Great. After a dream like that, I have to get ready for school. Just fantastic," I grumbled with my groggy morning voice, shifting under my bed sheets, trying to find the motivation to get up. My feet, shrouded in socks, touched the cool wooden floor, and I stretched to reanimate my limbs.

Why did I feel so heavy? Was it because of the dream? I didn't feel this way yesterday, even though it was a Monday. Something was off today, all because of that dreadful dream—no, nightma—

I was interrupted by the abrupt sound of my bedroom door swinging open. I turned to see Nathanael barging in. Now what is he doing here?

 Now what is he doing here?