Part 2. Shadowless

Nathanael stands in the doorway, his expression a mix of nonchalance and amusement as his stare shifts quickly between me and back to his phone

Nathanael stands in the doorway, his expression a mix of nonchalance and amusement as his stare shifts quickly between me and back to his phone. "Morning," he mutters, barely acknowledging my presence.

I glare at him, unimpressed by my cousin's intrusion. "Perfect, just what I need - to be met by your face first thing in the morning."

He has this bad habit of barging in without even knocking whenever he wants to. It really bothers me every time, but I guess it's kind of my fault too since I forget to properly close my door, whose lock is defective. If I don't close it carefully, it stays loose. It's as reliable as a paper umbrella in a monsoon.

Nathanael shrugs, "Your life's full of blessings, isn't it? So, what's got you all disheveled this fine morning?" He asks as if he cares.

I hesitate, reluctant to share, but the remnants of the dream left me feeling vulnerable and uneasy. "I just - I had this messed-up dream." I reply to him, unsure if I want to keep telling him about it. "Nevermind."

Nathanael raises an eyebrow. "Sure, baby-pants. By the way, your mom's asking if you're up already, just came to let ya know."

Of course, she is checking up on me. She can't let a single minute pass by without showing her overconcern. Even though I know how to get up and get ready for the day by myself she has to worry about me. Anyway, what I seriously can't just let pass right now is the disrespect from Nathan's lame insult.

Defensively, I try to explain myself, and I say "try" because my blabber next is clearly not doing the job. "B-but it's not just the dream; it felt real. Like, something's really off with the route I take from school..."

Nathanael leans against the doorframe, regarding me with a mixture of skepticism and mild concern. "You're overthinking it. Maybe lay off the horror movies before bedtime, huh?"

"I don't even like horror movies, but thanks for the insightful advice." I reply sarcastically. But seriously, what could I expect from him?

"You're welcome." Nathanael smirks and leaves the room, leaving me alone with my anxious thoughts and my mom calling me from downstairs.

I yell a "coming" as I grab my clothes to get ready, rushing to the main bathroom in hopes it is still available.

The feeling of dread follows me throughout my morning routine, and I can't help but wonder if the dream is a reflection of something deeper. I've read articles on psychology suggesting that dreams often reflect our memories and fears subconsciously, so maybe that's what it really is. A subconscious reflection.

Finally choosing to shrug it off, I leave for school, ignoring the feeling and shouldering the weight of the day ahead.

⎯⎯⎯✧࿓☾⎯⎯⎯

Today's class is worse than a stint in detention or a parent-teacher conference. I can't even count the times my head almost fell completely over my desk. I keep trying to stay awake. Come on me, I've got to remain awake! I'm giving it my best shot, but even I have my limits.