Part 8. The Visit

"Randy, please come to the principal's office," the principal's voice announced over the intercom, interrupting the class

"Randy, please come to the principal's office," the principal's voice announced over the intercom, interrupting the class. An ocean of mocking jeers filled the classroom, courtesy of my classmates whom I ignored.

I didn't expect to be summoned to the principal's office in the middle of class. Still, I gathered my things and made my way out. For the past two weeks, I had been sleepless, waiting for Rudolph to settle on a date for us to go visit Dad.

We had to plan it carefully. We couldn't risk Mom finding out. She'd definitely freak out if she knew what we were up to. Weekends were out of the question since she was always home. She'd sense something was off if we tried to leave. That left only school days.

But we couldn't let the school know either. Rudolph had been working on a believable lie to keep them in the dark. It took him ages to craft something that wouldn't arouse suspicion and risk them telling Mom.

This morning, I could tell he was ready. But he hadn't given me any specifics on when or how it would happen. Just thinking about it made me feel disconnected from anything. And now this call to the principal's office.

I wished he had shared a few more details with me. I didn't know if seeing Dad after so long caused me more anxiety, or the fact that I had no idea where he was, or when our meeting would happen.

Damn you, Rudolph! If you knew you had a brother with problems, why make him suffer with so much uncertainty?

I bet he secretly enjoys this.

As I reached the principal's office, I knocked, and heard a "come in," so I entered the open door. Inside, I found Rudolph, along with the principal, of course. It surprised me a little to find him there. He was not sitting, but standing, and resting one arm on the back of the elegant chair in front of the director's desk. He clearly had everything under control.

"Oh Randy, your brother already informed me of the urgency of your medical appointment. Please don't worry about dismissing classes today. Let me know if you need help keeping up," the principal said reassuringly.

"Uhh..."

"Ehem," Rud cleared his throat, signaling for me to follow the act.

"Uh, right, thank you," I muttered, faking a cough.

"See you later, Mr. Matheson," she said to Rudolph, acknowledging our mother's last name, then turned to me. "Randy," she dismissed us, and I left the office with my brother.

At the entrance, outside of the building, I spotted the car—not his, but Agathe's. Even though he had a license, he rarely used it, preferring our aunt's car whenever necessary. And he only asked for it in dire situations.

"I guess this counts as a dire situation," I think out loud, to which he nods.

"Ya ready for your medical appointment?" he asks, winking.