Part 3. His Reasons

The bell rings and signals the end of another tiresome day at school

The bell rings and signals the end of another tiresome day at school. I feel my shoulders burdened with the day's tension as I make my way out through the corridors. My energy is definitely not enough to run outside the building as others do. Although, a welcome relief washes me over with each step I give that brings me closer to the front exit.

As I step outside, uncertainty grips me. Should I take the bus or use the shortcut? That was a decision I hadn't quite made yet. 

Stepping outside, the sunlight bores down on me and my disheveled hair. Strands of brown hair rebel in every direction, prompting me to conceal them under my hoodie to avoid the bizarre stares of hairstyle judgers—It was better this way. I often dressed like this after all. I bet everyone is used already to the hooded boy walking out of school.

I just wonder how is it possible for my hair to be messier now than when I woke up this morning? Oh right. That must be thanks to my unintended nap during the Language lecture.

No but seriously, why place it as the last lecture in a day? Nobody can remain awake during that one hour.

Squinting against the harsh sun, I blinked, allowing my eyes to adjust to the intense light. People and cars bustled around the front parking lot, parents collecting their children, and some children taking the bus or just walking to their homes with their friends, all safely together.

The commotion felt heavier today, so I preferred not to face it directly by lowering my head and focusing only on the ground. I was never glad to accidentally meet with other people's faces.

The ground is just as busy with everyone's clear-cut shadows that follow right behind them.

Earlier during History, I had been quite startled by the disappearance of my own shadow. At first, I had shrugged it off, attributing it to a trick of the light. Being someone who often sketches, I understood how light could distort our perceptions. 

However, the more I dwelled on it, the less it made sense...

.

The class had drawn to a close, and as my classmates streamed out for recess, I remained seated, lost in my trance. It was as though I was frozen in place, despite knowing I should move, a reluctance within me rooted me to the spot. I didn't wanted to move at all and risk facing what might be on the floor beneath me. I dreaded the possibility that my explanations were all wrong, that something inexplicable had caused my shadow to vanish.

Only then it dawned on me, I was doing it again... what Nathan had told me—I was overthinking my fears, allowing those illogical worries to consume me. 

Had it not been for the growing hunger gnawing at my stomach, I might have remained glued to my seat for the entire lunch break.

Regrettably, I didn't simply stand and leave as planned. I mean, yes, that sounds pretty easy, but my mind wasn't in the right state at that moment.