.005.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon. -- Woody Alle

________________________

Sirius Black couldn't stop staring at Seraphine Prince. 

He couldn't stop himself from being reminded of when he was in her shoes, when he was the newly beheaded pureblood heir. He watched on as she tried to look unbothered among the blue ravens, snake among the birds but he could see through her facade her mask that she had on for the Slytherins analysing her. 

The sorting hat had made a mistake, he was certain of that because no one was more Slytherin than Seraphine her mother made sure of it, his sister on the other hand was a surprise.Lyra was not meant for Slytherin, she was not cruel, deceitful or evil she was clear, cunning and ambitious she was meant to be a Ravenclaw, he was sure of that too. 

Sirius was sure of many things except one, he was not sure who his brother was. Regulus has always been one of those people whome you never know the true side of, a disciplined soldier for his mother, a perfect son for his father, a protective brother for his sister and a spare for Sirius. Was it all an act or was he too just like him, a confused child. 

He had been sure that Lyra was not one of them for the past year but now as she sits and laughs among them he questions whether he had ever known his own sister, whether he had failed to see the evil lurking behind her smiles. As he watched his younger brother walk up the stairs and sit on the chair he hoped that he had been wrong about his brother too.

The moment the hat was placed on Regulus's  head it was as if he had been transported into another world. His ears went shut not a voice to be heard only the echo of his own breaths, his vision black and filled with only an endless void of darkness. he let the silence and the darkness linger, the dark was like a gentle caress to his racing heart calming it to rhythmic thumps. Not a single thought lingered in his head. 

"The world has been cruel to you" 

the rough fading voice of the hat echoed through the endless void and slithered into his mind, he could feel the invisible hand of the hat poking and prodding through his memories, invading the most tender of his childhood and watching as a bystander through all the good, bad and terrible. 

"You are at peace in solitude  but is that really true or is it because solitude is all you have ever known" 

flashes of memories speed through his mind, a memory of him embroidering a piece of cloth in a dark corner of the library at home, a memory of him playing the piano in his room, a memory of him reading a book in the garden under his favourite oak tree at night, a memory of him skipping stones by the lake near his house, a memory of him watching from his window as Sirius and Lyra played in the gardens, a memory of him taking his sisters punishments, a memory of him aiding to his sisters wounds with bleeding hands, a memory of him crying on the floor of his sisters room while she sleeps soundly. all of it comes to him all at once and for a moment Regulus feels just that, utterly alone.