Chapter Fourteen

(Dawn's POV)

Once dad left to take mom back to her apartment, I shot a text off to my parents to let them know that everything was going well and that I was staying at the loft with Nora. Their reply was pretty simple, they were glad everything was going well and that Nora and I were safe.

I was still a little worried about Nora, especially with how dad reacted to her not telling him that I was coming. I just hoped she believed me when I told her that our parents were not disappointed in her. They never had been.

Nora told me that I could sleep on the couch and that she would take the recliner. She bundled herself in some blankets and was out almost instantly. It took me some time to fall asleep. I never was good at falling asleep in unfamiliar places. I was out before dad even came home.

I woke up before Nora the next morning. She was still asleep when dad came down the stairs, dressed for the day. I wasn't sure how long he had been up.

"Hey, Dawn?" I looked up when I heard his voice. He seemed like he was a little surprised to see me awake. Makes sense, he was probably used to Nora and her inability to wake up in the mornings.

"Yeah, dad?" I replied, sitting up more so that he knew he had my full attention.

"I'm heading to work and then I have lunch plans. I have to meet with Cecile and Iris after that, Cecile is helping us draw up our divorce papers." He said as he walked over to the couch with a travel mug that I assumed was filled with coffee in his hand.

"Lunch plans?" I asked, looking up at him curiously.

"Yes, with Caitlin." He nodded. I felt my eyes widen and my jaw drop, I'm sure I had to look ridiculous.

"With mom?" I gasped. Then I realized what I had said. I winced, covering my mouth.

"Dawn! The fucking timeline!" Nora snapped. Great. She was up. "And everyone was worried I was going to fuck up the timeline."

I let out a groan and I covered my face with both hands. I flopped back on the couch, wanting to scream. Nora had done an amazing job of not letting anything slip thus far. Then here I come, opening my fat mouth to tell dad who our mother is. Just fantastic. I'll be hearing about this one until the day I die.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that, girls. I should be home tonight around eight tonight. Please don't tell anyone anything else, and Nora, please watch your language." He sighed. I uncovered my face in time to see the pleading look he was giving the two of us.

"I'm so sorry, dad." I whispered. I'm sure my cheeks were red. I was embarrassed. "I didn't mean to let that slip, I was just surprised."

"It's alright. I wouldn't have found the courage to ask her out at all if Nora hadn't written her note." He said, shrugging.

"I burned my note! How did you find out?" Nora gasped. I turned to face her, glaring. Maybe I wasn't the only one to screw up here.

"What note, Nora?" I asked, standing from the couch. I took a step toward her and she held her hands up in surrender.

"The note doesn't matter. At least I didn't tell dad that Caitlin is our mom." Nora snapped, standing up as well. She was in for it now. I started to make my way across the room to her but dad was suddenly standing between the two of us.

"That's enough, you two." He laughed, holding up his hands. He turned to Nora then. "Caitlin checked the cameras back at the lab when she noticed the note was gone. She was worried I had taken it." Then he turned back to me. "She explained that the note Nora wrote said I wanted to take Caitlin out for dinner. After she told me I asked her out to lunch."