Chapter Twenty-Eight

(Caitlin's POV)

"We need to talk." I said softly, walking into Cisco's lab. I felt better after having talked with Barry the night before. Even over text. I hadn't meant to make him think that I was breaking things off with him. That was the last thing I wanted to happen between us. I knew that I had said something wrong the second he started moving toward the door, looking so sad and so hurt.

"What's up?" Cisco asked, looking up from his work.

"I want to help with the cure, but I have some conditions." I said, taking a seat next to him at his desk.

"Okay?" He said, looking confused. He turned so that he was facing me completely. "Name your price, Caity."

"I need to know that whoever we give this cure to has a choice. That it's never used against anyone, no matter the circumstances." I said softly. "This cure scares me more than anything after losing Killer Frost last year. I don't want this getting into the hands of someone who could take her from me again."

"I will make sure that this is never used as a weapon." Cisco agreed, reaching out to squeeze my hand. "I will make sure that it never comes close to you and Killer Frost as well."

"Thank you." I smiled. "You have my full support then. Pick my mind, Ramon."

He grinned but it faded from his face just as quick. "Something else is wrong."

I sighed, he knew me too well. "I told Barry that I needed some space."

"What?!" Cisco gasped. "You two are like, made for each other though!"

"Thanks, Cisco." I laughed. "I can see myself falling for him hard, there is just a lot happening right now and I need to be able to think things through and process things without distraction."

"You can't do that and still be with Barry?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I'm overwhelmed." I answered honestly. "I haven't been with anyone seriously since Ronnie. I don't feel scared to open myself up to Barry, but there is a lot going on right now and it's all leaving me feeling so raw. I just need space."

"Was he understanding?" Cisco asked, giving me a look. "I love you both, you're both my best friends, but I will hurt him for you."

"No need to hurt him." I smiled softly. "He has been more than understanding. I accidentally made him think I was ending things. I hurt him."

"Did you make it right?" He asked.

"I did. I texted him last night and explained that with everything going on I just need some time." I nodded.

"I'm rooting for the two of you." Cisco said, nodding as well. "Now, let's get to work on this cure."