The Arcadian Government

The Republic of Arcadia's government is semi-presidential, which means it has both a President and a Prime Minister. The President serves as the head of state and the Prime Minister as the head of government and leads the Cabinet/Ministry, with the Parliament holding significant legislative power and the Judiciary being independent. This system aims to have each branch check and balance each other.

Executive Branch

The Presidency

In the Republic of Arcadia, The President's role is extensive, encompassing both domestic and international affairs, with a focus on governance, security, and overall national development.

Candidacy as per Article II, Section 9 of the Arcadian Constitution
"Only a natural-born citizen or a naturalised citizen of the Republic of Arcadia shall be eligible for the office of President. Additionally, eligibility for the presidency is contingent upon attaining the age of eighteen years, with naturalised citizens required to have been residents within the Republic of Arcadia for a minimum of fourteen years."

Executive Authority
The President serves as the Chief Executive of the Republic, responsible for executing and enforcing the laws of the land.

They have the authority to issue executive orders, decrees, and regulations, provided they align with the Constitution and established laws.

Commander-in-Chief
The President assumes the role of Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces and the Militia, presiding over higher national defence councils and committees.

This involves making decisions related to national security, military campaigns, and responses to perceived threats or incursions by the Creatures of Grimm.

Appointments and Governance
The President appoints Commissioners as chief executives of Regions, considering factors such as competence, experience, and commitment to regional development.

They have the authority to appoint and dismiss other members of the Government, including State Councillors, Ambassadors and Envoys Extraordinary, Senior Members of the Audit Commission, Regional Commissioners, Chiefs of Staff of the Armed Forces, Rectors of the Academies, and Directors of Central Government Departments.

Territorial Mandates and Reclamation Zones
In the event of acquiring new territories through military campaigns against the Creatures of Grimm, the President can establish Territorial Mandates, placing them under military administration until criteria for recognition as Regions are met.

The President can declare and manage Reclamation Zones in times of perceived Grimm threats, with authority over military campaigns aimed at eradicating Grimm presence and securing the territory.

Legislative Interaction
The President has the power to propose the recognition of a Territorial Mandate as a new Region to the National Assembly, with the approval requiring a majority vote in both the National Assembly and the Senate.

Impeachment and Oversight
The President, like other high officials, can face impeachment for high crimes and misdemeanours, as determined by the Parliament.

Oversight mechanisms include the President's annual reporting to the National Assembly and the Senate on the execution of laws and the general state of the Republic.

Emergency Powers
In cases of serious and immediate threats to the institutions, independence, territory, or international commitments, the President can take emergency measures after formal consultation with key figures.

Diplomatic Relations
The President receives foreign ambassadors and carries out diplomatic relations on behalf of the Republic, subject to the provisions of treaties and agreements ratified by the Parliament.