chapter 19

Previous: the sky was clear but it was unusually cold tonight.

"It seems like the patient got heavily beaten up by a couple of guys on the streets. The blood on his body was still warm when he arrived here, so I guess that shit happened less than one hour ago!"

Shachi's voice sounded clearly agitated, but Law honestly didn't care for what the other man had to say to him. His gaze was fixed straight ahead, even though he wasn't particularly looking at anything as he walked down the hallway of the hospital next to Shachi. His hands were casually stuffed in the pockets of his white coat.

Law's interest in everything around him seemed to have decreased as the days progressed. Something had clearly disappeared that had made the past couple of days exciting for him, and Law had a nasty suspicion that he knew exactly what it was.

"The radiographs are completely blurry, 'cause that guy just didn't stop fidgeting."

Law didn't respond and ignored most of what the other man next to him said. However, there was one word that caused a certain memory to flash back into his mind.

Fidgeting.

Fuck, Luffy had fidgeted so much in his sleep every night, the teen had even kicked Law several times when he was trying his best to fall asleep, too. And Luffy's subconscious kicks had been everything but weak. Yeah, they had done a pretty good job at keeping Law awake almost all night.

"I told him that he had to do what I asked him to do, but damn Law! I swear that man didn't even listen to one word I said!"

Law rolled his eyes in annoyance. Luffy had also never listened to a goddamn thing he had told him. It didn't even matter how obviously stupid Luffy's ideas and plans had been, whenever he had wanted to do something he certainly didn't waste any second thought on it. What a stubborn dumbass...

"He also has several cuts on his body, some of them are really deep. I'm sure he's gonna have some scars as a reminder of what happened today."

Scars... Yeah, now that he thought about it, Luffy had a scar, too! Right under his left eye. Law hadn't asked him where he had got it from and he couldn't help but feel even more curious about it now. Had someone hurt him in the past? Or had Luffy given the scar to himself? Law snorted at the thought. That guy sure seemed stupid enough to do something like that, considering how incautious he had been the whole time. The story behind his scar was probably extremely ridiculous.

Law snapped out of his thoughts when Shachi moved his hand in front of Law's face and then flipped his fingers for the attention of the young surgeon. "Law, are you even listening to me? You're being uncharacteristically quiet today. It's not like you to be so uninterested in someone who's probably bleeding to death as we're talking here."

Law blinked twice and shook his head slightly to get rid of the memories in his head and then opened his mouth to speak. "Y-Yeah, I'm fine, I just-"

"Law!"

Both men stopped in their tracks and looked over their shoulders to see an obviously troubled man running right into their direction.

Once Penguin had reached them he placed his hands on his knees, frantically panting for air as if he had just walked a marathon. After he had taken several deep intakes of air, Penguin straightened his posture again and looked straight into Law's grey eyes, the other man's worry painfully visible to the doctor.

"Law, that woman in room 157," He stopped mid-sentence, taking a new deep breath to calm his heavily beating heart. "Fuck, the last painkillers we gave her were completely useless! She has been screaming in agony non stop for, oh fuck, I don't even know how long!" Penguin's hands jerked wildly around in the air for emphasis.

"Have you tried some other pills yet?" Law asked, his voice perfectly calm.

Penguin quickly stuffed both of his hands in his own pockets, frantically searching for something. He then pulled out two small pill bottles and showed them to Law. "I'm not sure which ones to use! Shit, the red or the blue ones? Hurry up, Law!"

Law moved his eyes from one of Penguin's hands to the other, not being able to come up with the correct answer right away. He really should be more focused when he's at work. "Uh, the blue ones..." He said after a few seconds of hesitation.

"Alright!" Penguin put the red pills back in his pocket and moved his other hand up to eye the other pill bottle more thoroughly. "How many of these am I supposed to give her?"

"Three daily. That should be enough." Law turned around to walk away from Penguin again but was stopped in his movements when Shachi grabbed the tall man by his arm and roughly yanked him back.

"Three fucking pills, Law?!" Shachi's expression was shocked, his eyes filled with some kind of anger. "Do you want to kill that woman?!"

Immediately, Law's previously bored face turned into a mixture of surprise and confusion. He opened his eyes wider and opened his mouth a little bit to speak more clearly. "What are you talking abou-"

"Those pills," Shachi cut him off and pointed at the drugs Penguin was still holding in his hand. "Are highly dosed as fuck! One of them is enough to numb even the worst pain, so what the hell is wrong with you?! Aren't you supposed to be one of the best doctors of the whole damn country?!"

Law didn't break the eye contact with Shachi, his mouth hanging slightly open in shock. After he had registered what he had just said, he felt like someone had just pushed him into a freezing cold river. Law slowly let his gaze drop to the ground, not believing what a stupid mistake he'd just made. "Fuck..." He then closed his eyes tightly and gritted his teeth. "Shit..."

Shachi let go of Law's arm and looked turned to Penguin. "You better take care of that screaming woman and I'll take care of Law, okay?"

Penguin's head turned from Shachi to Law who still looked like someone had shoved a knife through his chest. Something was definitely off, Penguin could tell. It wasn't normal for Law to make mistakes, especially such stupid ones. This man didn't have a good reputation for his high medical knowledge without a reason. And giving him the wrong instructions... Damn, that had certainly never happened before.

However, he had no time to think about Law's strange behavior right now. Penguin could ask him later. He gave Shachi a curt nod and ran quickly into the same direction he had come from just one minute ago.

The moment Penguin disappeared from his view, Shachi turned to Law, taking a few steps to get closer to the other man, and placed his hand gently on his friend's shoulder in an attempt to somehow calm the taller man down. "Law...You seriously need to tell me what's up with you."

"I almost fucking poisoned a patient, that's what's wrong." Law hissed through clenched teeth. He then moved his left hand up to rub his face own. God, it sickened him how even the smallest mistakes could have a huge impact on another person's life.

"You know that's not what I'm talking about."

To be continued...

(This is where our chapter ends. Thankyou for reading and I hope you all liked it )

Word count 1281