chapter 23

Previous: He felt like a lovesick High School student, oh god, this was beyond terrible.

Maybe he should just send Luffy a message? But then again, Law had never really sent someone a message before. He didn't even know how to start a message correctly, so this was not an option. Besides, Luffy probably wouldn't even answer right away - Hell, Law had the feeling that he'd probably have to wait at least a week until Luffy'd even notice he had got a message.

Law shook his head. He had to call the teen personally. His pride and his brain had already left him a long time ago, he really had nothing else to lose.

Taking one last deep intake of air, Law touched the green symbol and moved the phone up to his ear.

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring

God, what an annoying sound. Why was he even doing this?

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring

Okay, maybe he was still a little attracted to him. Maybe the thought of Luffy was enough to make his body tremble slightly with excitement and maybe Luffy had been on his mind more than he should. That was one point in Luffy's favor.

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring

But on the other hand, Law knew how uncharacteristically stupid all of this was. The two men had virtually nothing in common. Law hated stupid people with a burning passion, he'd always had, and Luffy was the true embodiment of stupidity. Logically, nothing of this made any sense. That was one point against Luffy.

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring

Law moved the phone away from his ear and glared at it. What was taking the other man so long? Did he lose his phone again? It was just a blind assumption, but it was still enough to make Law's heart pound heavily with nervousness - Because it'd mean that there was no chance for Law to contact Luffy in any way.

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring-

"Uhh... H-Hello?" Oh shit, Law's heart almost skipped a beat at the tone of the other man's voice. To be honest, it was nice to Luffy's voice again, even though it sounded slightly different on the phone than when he was standing right next to him. A little less loud and annoying.

"You sound a little sleepy." Law stated, his voice completely calm which was a huge contrast to his wildly beating heart.

"That's because a certain someone has just woken me up from a nap." Law was a little relieved when a playful laughter followed Luffy's sentence, implying that the teen wasn't mad at him.

"Sorry about that." Law said and closed his eyes, inhaling and exhaling deeply in an attempt to calm his beating heart. Come to think of it, Law had absolutely no idea what to say to the other man. He had never been good at this kind of conversations.

"Where did you, mhahh-" Luffy interrupted his sentence to let out a really, really loud yawn - and he obviously didn't even care to muffle the sound with his hand or anything. "Where did you get my number from?"

Law placed his elbow on the table and rested his head on his free palm, feeling a lot less nervous than before as their talk progressed. Somehow Luffy made talking to him really easy. "You gave it to me on Sunday, I guess." Had it really been on Sunday? Law honestly didn't even remember.

"...Law?"

Law raised an eyebrow at the questioning tone in Luffy's voice. "...Yes?"

"Oh holy shit!" Luffy exclaimed so loudly that Law even jerked a little in surprise. "Oh god, Law! It's you!"