| 20 |

Will POV

As I got down from the ship, I tried looking for Nico or Niccolo di Angelo as my forearm said. I couldn't believe he was my soulmate. Or that he was a merman, of course. I couldn't find him anywhere. It was like he disappeared. "Hey, you're William, right?" A voice asked. I turned around towards the water and saw three merpeople sitting there on the shore. It was still very chaotic, the guests scurrying to get back home and the merpeople trying to hide under the ocean. These three seemed to be the only ones not scared. 

"Uh, yeah. I go by Will, but yeah." I was still getting used to merpeople being real, despite Nico apparently being one this whole time if I understood the situation correctly. 

"I'm Percy, Nico's cousin, and these are our other cousins, Jason and Thalia." The one with the green tail said. 

"Oh, nice to meet you." I guess I was meeting the family before we even got together. "Do you know where he went?" They all had guilty expressions like they didn't want to tell me something. 

"Um, yeah. He's in the Underworld Sea, probably grounded. His dad was really mad he made the deal with the witch." Jason explained. My eyes widened. 

"But he'll come back, right?" They avoided my eyes, making my heart race nervously. 

"...we don't know. Knowing Nico, he'll find his way back here but Uncle Hades was really mad. He doesn't like the land, never has, but it's gotten worse over the years." Thalia answered. "Nico's kinda rebellious when it comes to that no going up here  rule and tended to go up to the surface all the time. None of us have ever gotten why. I mean I'm not one to scare easily but Uncle Hades..." She shuddered. "I'd wish him good luck." 

"Thales! You're scaring him! Don't worry, he'll be fine. And like my sister said, he'll find his way back here at least within a month. His dad's never stopped him before." Jason said. He looked at something behind me. "Oh, I think your family wants to talk to you. We'll leave you to talk." They swam back into the ocean as I turned around to face my family. They all looked shocked, which was fair enough. 

"What just happened...?" Austin asked. "Mermaids are real... All the legends..." 

"Apparently." I said, not knowing how to answer. "Nico's a merman. And my soulmate." I tried not to grin, knowing this was a serious situation. 

"Wait, what?!" Kayla asked, excitedly. "Back up!" She had always believed in the myths so I figured it effected her less that it should have. "Congrats!" She walked up and high-fived me happily. Austin soon followed after, along with my father but mom stood at the side. She scoffed. 

"He's a merman, William. He lied to us." I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Well we don't know why, do we? I love him and I trust him. That should be enough for you." I said defensively. Finally all the feelings I've been having towards Nico made sense. Why it hurt so much when we couldn't be together. It was because we were chosen by the fates to stay by each others side for all time. No one insults my (hopefully) future boyfriend, even my mom. 

"Don't talk to me that way." She glared. "I'm sure if he had good intentions he would be here to face us. Where is he now? He ran away, didn't he?" 

"His father grounded him. He's in the Underworld Sea." I said, trying not to let my sadness sleep through my voice. 

"See? He's a bad influence on you, William."

"He did it so he could see me." 

"It doesn't matter why; he's a troublemaker, Will." She crossed her arms. "I don't want you seeing him." 

"Naomi! A word, please?" Dad said sternly, dragging her over to a private area by her arm. I could hear them whisper-shouting from here, but couldn't tell what they were saying. Luckily, mom seemed to be losing the argument. 

"Hey, I'm happy for you." Kayla said. "I'm sure Dad will stop Queen Naomi from keeping you two apart. I'm fairly certain that's one of the laws that Grandpa Zeus created for Grandma Hera, isn't it? Being married into the family, Naomi doesn't have the power to reverse it." I felt a sense of relief fill me as I realized she was right. 

"Thanks, K." I side-hugged her and Austin joined on my other side. 

"But seriously, Nico seems cool. I mean, I don't really know him since he didn't talk, but still. Having him for a brother-in-law sounds cool. A real life merman." Austin seemed excited. He was only 10 so he didn't really understand the dangers that could go along with that. Dad and Mom came back, her looking frustrated and him looking proud of himself. 

"Good news, Will. We've come to an agreement, and by that I mean she completely lost the argument. You can see Nico whenever you want and we won't stop you." Dad said. Mom crossed her arms. They both suddenly looked at the ocean behind me. I turned around and saw a large wave coming up and a man that looked remarkably like Nico, but much older and more intimidating, sit on top of it. I had seen him when we were fighting the sea witch person but I didn't really pay attention. The only thing I knew about him was that he was probably Nico's dad and he owned an important scepter that could make people grow 20 times their regular size. He pointed said scepter at me, though it didn't do anything. 

"William Solace, come speak to me." He said, his voice booming across the beach. Kayla started chuckling, but hid it behind her hand. 

"Go on, Will, your future father-in-law wants to speak to you. Wonder what about." She said sarcastically. I pushed her slightly, making her laugh louder, but went to the man. Calm down, he's just Nico's father. That has a powerful scepter that can do gods-knows-what. Nothing to worry about.

 He let the wave crash down when I was within speaking distance and formed a bubble around me, not unlike what the sea witch did with Nico. This made me panic slightly, but I tried to remain calm. The bubble sunk into the sea under the man's command and he followed. He brought us near the top so I could feel more comfortable, which I appreciated. "So, William," 

"Uh, I go by Will." I noticed I interrupted him. "Sorry! Sorry. Go on."  He stopped for a second before continuing. 

"Nico's pretty upset with this whole situation. Or how I handled it. I don't want him going to the surface anymore. It's dangerous. I've lost important people to me to humans. I won't lose Nico too. He seems convinced that you won't let him get hurt, and I want to trust him, but...I worry. I realize there are some things we can't control, but I want you to promise me something. A deal, of sorts. I promise that if you take care of Nico...I will make him human myself. I can't make him fully human, whenever he goes into the Underworld Sea, he will transform back into a merman. Any other water is fine but since this is his home ocean, it won't work properly here. Once he's dry of any Underworld water, he will be human again. In return, I want you to promise me you will try your absolute best to keep him safe and happy. There's a special promise we do down here. A Swear on the Styx. If you make a Styx swear and you fail to complete it, you will meet a fate worse than death. I know this is a serious situation for you, but I need to make sure my son is safe. Now, do you agree? Do you swear if the Styx?" I hesitated, but I knew the answer. 

"I swear on the Styx that I will do my best to keep Nico safe and happy." I wanted to add more to the swear but I didn't want to make it like a wedding vow. The man seemed satisfied with this answer. 

"My name is Hades di Angelo, by the way. King of the Underworld Sea." That right there was a lot of information. 

"Wait. Nico's a prince?" I asked. "Of the Underworld Sea?" I also finally realized why he wanted to read stories about the god Hades. Because it reminded him of his dad. 

"He didn't tell you? Oh, right. I forgot he couldn't talk during your time with him." He paused. "Will you allow me one more day with him? I transform him tomorrow, I promise." I nodded. 

"Of course, King Hades. Thank you so much for this!" He nodded in acknowledgement and popped the bubble, making me swim up to the surface happily. 

Soon, Nico will be here permanently.