Chapter 8: New Chances

Shadybug stared at the person who stood in front of her, shocked into silence. It was literally her, but strangely still, Shadybug couldn't remember the last time she had stood that still.

"Hello? Who the hell are you and what do you mean again?"

"It's literally me, Monarch, using a sentimonster version of yourself, Shadybug," the eerily same person said in response.

"Sentimonster? What the hell does that mean?"

"Using the Peacock Miraculous, you can create beings tied to a particular object, or more than one object."

"The Peacock Miraculous? I don't know that Miraculous even was a real thing. So you're saying that this-" she gestured vaguely to the sentimonster in front of her, "-being is a sentimonster or whatever, and you created it using some bird Miraculous for what purpose?"

The sentimonster version of Shadybug smirked at her.

"To assist you, of course. My akuma can't stay for long if you attempt to conquer the city. After all, Ladybug's still on the loose, and she can undo the damages if she found an akuma. A sentimonster is a bit more...discreet."

"Is it now? I assume you have the object?"

"Indeed."

"Keep it safe, I guess. What can this...uh, sentimonster version of me do?"

"Everything that you can...and perhaps more," Shadybug replied to Shadybug. The real Shadybug blinked in surprised.

"Then lock up the city," Shadybug snapped. The sentimonster smiled then jumped off the roof and went to obey Shadybug's orders. Shadybug gripped her head in her hands, letting a hint of her anxiety at working alone seep through. 

"Oh, damn you, Claw Noire, for having been such a good partner," she muttered under her breath. She scanned the view she had of the city for any unlucky sign of him, but she found none and let out a breath of pent-up stress and relief. 

"This is utterly ridiculous, why the hell am I worrying over some damn stupid stuck-up brat of a black cat? He was revoltingly pun-basic and his attitude got on my nerves. I should stop...but why aren't I? This is what doing a partnership does for someone."

She stomped around on the roof for a moment then jumped off, landing gracefully and paced through the streets, spinning her yoyo, debating something quietly, then an idea came into her mind.

"What if I just created a sentimonster of Claw Noire? Then I wouldn't have to deal with his crap, but he'd still be useful. I guess that means I have to go steal the Peacock Miraculous from that ridiculous Monarch."

"You shall do no such thing, Shadybug," a voice said from behind her. Betterfly, the good holder of the Butterfly Miraculous, was standing right behind her. 

"Oh, just leave off it. Nobody asked your opinion. Why do you care so much, you despicable moth?" she snapped at him. 

"Because I work for the greater good, and you and Claw Noire are tyrants. I shall not let your reign continue, Shadybug. It ends now, especially now that you're alone."

"Claw Noire will take my position, Betterfly. And we both know he can't think on his own without destroying shit and showing off."

"Even your swearing is...just awful. You should break the habit."

Shadybug narrowed her eyes.

"Don't tell me what the hell to do," she spat at him, and spun her yoyo at him, hitting him successfully in the face. 

"You need to stop this! It's destroying you! Look at your face!"

Shadybug struck him again, ignoring his pleas and she shoved him further back.