Detached

"Mommy? Where are you going." The small redheaded girl looked at her mom as she frantically moved around their home grabbing things.

"I'm meeting with someone. I'll be back."

"In time to read me a story?" The girl continued to play with her toys. She had blocks laid out on the floor.

"Yes, my darling." She grabbed her bag, and moved towards the door.

"Wait!" The four year old stood up and ran towards her mom. "You forgot my hug." She ran into her mom wrapping her arms around her legs.

"How silly of me." The woman patted the girl's head. "Ok, I'm going to be late. I need to go." The little girl backed up and waved goodbye to her mom. The lady turned and walked out of the door.

___________________________________

"Prisoner 289 come with us." A deep voice spoke as it entered the small cell.

"Where to now?" She sighed and stood up from her desk. She held her hands out, following the routine of the handcuffs to leave.

"Kristen." A familiar man walked in following the guards.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have some council meeting to attend. Someone else's life to ruin?" She snapped at him.

____________________________________

*Knock Knock*

The little redhead stood in the middle of the hallway. The door slowly opened up to reveal a sweet looking older lady.

"Kris? Why it's the middle of the night. What are you doing here?" She bent down to look at the small girl. Kris looked at her hands, and fidgeted.

"My mommy isn't back yet. She never read me a story." she spoke softly looking into the woman's eyes.

"Oh well that is not okay. Here, come in, John picked up some cookies earlier. Would you like some?" She led the girl to sit at the small table in the middle of the small room. Factory Station was where the lower people lived.

Farm was probably the poorest station on the Ark, and then Factory would be right above it, so the living quarters were small.

Kris sat and ate cookies, and played with some toys she had at her neighbor's. She was there often when her mom left during the day. Another knock sounded at the door. Jackie, her neighbor, answered it.

"Good. I was hoping you would come." She let the man in. "Her mom often leaves her here with me during the day, but she left hours ago, and Kristen said she hasn't come back."

"I'm glad you called, Jackie." The man looked at the little girl.

"I wasn't sure if I should have ordered for the guards, and John always had good luck with you, so I just hoped I could've requested to get you."

"Yes, and you caught me right before I left which is great. What's her mom's name?" He pulled out a small device. "I'll see if she has a record."

"Tami. Tami Moore." Jackie handed Kris another cookie. "She's the prettiest little girl I've ever seen. Bright red hair with icy blue eyes. I don't know how her mother could leave her." Jackie bragged. "Do you have any children Marcus?"

"Ah, no. Always wanted one. Never had the connection." He sighed, continuing to look at his device. "I see her, but she has no record, so there isn't much about her."

"Well, is there anything we can do for this sweet little girl?" Jackie looked at her once more. Kane sighed.

"I can take her back to my place tonight, and I'll talk to Chancellor Jaha in the morning." He grabbed the girl, putting her on his hip.