Apologizes

Shikai's POV

I awoke before Shino for once. His arm was around my face, making a faint blush grow on my face. Not wanting to bother him, I stayed in the same position. While I waited for him to wake up, I thought about my family. 'Maybe I should go home soon...' I thought, closing my eyes to help keep myself from getting distracted. Still awake, I felt Shino stir slightly, waking up. He assumed I was asleep, playing with my hair. I smiled, a relaxed feeling settling over me.

I heard Shino chuckle, his chest vibrating, "Shikai, I know you're awake." His voice was slightly groggy since he just got up, but it still radiated kindness towards me. I opened one eye and smiled sheepishly. An embarrassed blush settled on my face, as I pouted. Sighing, I got up, making Shino's arm fall on the bed. "I washed your clothes for you. The one's from the first time you stayed here." Shino pointed towards a pile of folded clothes, and I smiled at him, mumbling a thanks. He got up and left his room, waiting outside so I could get dressed.

The clothes smelled like cherry blossoms, making me smile as I changed. Once I was done and had put my headband on, I exited his room, brushing down my hair. While I waited for him to get dressed, I thought about my family, about whether or not my father missed me or if Shikamaru missed me. I knew my mother missed me, but I couldn't handle it anymore. The constant comparisons and scolding didn't help with my self-esteem, and it often made me feel worthless. I clenched my fist, refusing to even tear up, 'You have to learn to pick yourself up, Shikai I thought, 'There wont always be a shoulder to cry on.' I sighed, and jumped as I felt Shino's hand on my shoulder, looking at me through his dark glasses, "S-sorry, I guess I spaced out." I laughed nervously, and we walked out the house after briefly saying goodbye to his father. I had gotten distracted along the way, and we ended up taking a longer route to the training grounds, talking.

///

After meeting up with Shino again and heading over to training, I saw that we were the last one's there and I apologized, "Sorry we're late Kurenai-Sensei. It's my fault." I smiled nervously making Kurenai-Sensei laugh.

"It's okay Shikai, Shino. Just try not to make a habit out of it." Nodding happily, Shino and I stood next to our teammates as we waited for Kurenai-Sensei's words. "The reason I called you all here, is that I requested you all for the Chunin Exams. It's optional, but I strongly recommend it. That's all." Kurenai smiled kindly at all of us. Being from Clans known for their ninja, we all knew of the Chunin Exams, though a feeling of nervousness, combined with excitement settled in me. I looked at all of my teammates, confident in each of their abilities. "We'll pass the Chunin Exams! I just know it!"

Shino's POV

I heard Shikai's exclamation, and hid the smile that was on my face. Kurenai-Sensei dismissed us, smiling at us all. I walked with Shikai, and noticed the conflicted look on her face. "Shikai? Is anything wrong?" I asked, letting concern for her show. The warm feeling that kept spreading throughout my body was still a mystery to me, though it was pleasant. I saw Shikai frown slightly, making me wonder what was troubling her.

"I don't think I'll be staying over your house today Shino. Sorry." Shikai looked at me with slight guilt in her eyes. I let her see my smile, though a feeling of displeasure coursed through me. Having her over was enjoyable, and I slept rather well while she was there, but I knew she would go home at some point and leave the temporary sanctuary I had offered her.

"It's quite alright Shikai. I enjoyed your company and it was a pleasure having you stay with my father and I." Though I wanted to tell her just how happy I was when she stayed, I held myself back, a foreign fear of rejection at the back of my mind. She smiled at me and we went our separate ways. Her smile... It was radiant and contagious. And I loved it.

///