7: Seeking Blessings

Third Person

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm glow over the countryside as Greggy and Irene sat side by side in Greggy's car. They were on their way to Irene's family home, a picturesque house nestled among the rolling hills. This drive was one that Greggy had been both eagerly anticipating and dreading for some time. He had decided it was finally time to ask for Irene's hand in a more formal way.

Nervousness pulsed through Greggy as they neared their destination. He couldn't help but fidget, adjusting his tie and clearing his throat. Irene, perceptive as always, reached over and gently touched his hand, offering him an encouraging smile.

"Relax, Greggy." she said in a soothing voice. "It's going to be just fine. My parents are going to love you, I'm sure of it."

Greggy managed a weak smile, his heart pounding in his chest.

"I hope so, Irene. I just want to make a good impression and show them how much you mean to me."

Irene chuckled softly and continued to offer words of support. "You've got this. Just be yourself, and remember, I'll be right there beside you every step of the way."

And then, she added. "You know, Greggy, my dad can be quite the character. He's got a great sense of humor, so if you need to lighten the mood, just crack a joke or two."

Greggy laugh nervously "Jokes, huh? Well, I'll try my best, but I can't promise they'll be funny."

Irene grinned at his reply. "Oh, come on, Greggy! Remember that one time we went to the comedy club? You had me in stitches with your terrible puns."

"Yeah, that's true. I can always fall back on my trusty puns. So, how do you think your mom's going to react?" Greggy asked, still focused on the road.

"Oh, Mom will adore you. Just remember to compliment her garden; it's her pride and joy. She's got a green thumb, you know." Irene replied.

Greggy felt a bit more at ease because of what Irene said. "Noted. I can appreciate a good garden. Your family seems so close-knit." He said then glance at Irene.

"We are. You'll fit right in, Greggy. And hey, if all else fails, just bring up your love for animals. My little sister's crazy about pets, and she's got plenty of questions for you." She tried teasing Greggy.

Greggy chuckled. "Well, I can talk about animals all day. We'll have a lot to chat about. Thanks for the advice, Irene."

"No problem, Greggy. Just promise me one thing, though."

Greggy gave her a quick curious looked.

"And what's that?"

"That you won't use the puns unless it's absolutely necessary. My dad might start a pun war, and I can't be responsible for the aftermath!" Irene replied and smiled at him."

Greggy and Irene's playful banter continued throughout the journey, providing much-needed comic relief and bolstering Greggy's confidence as they approached her family's house.

As the car rolled up the winding driveway, Greggy took a deep breath, trying to steady his nerves. The picturesque house came into view, and the anticipation weighed heavily on him. Irene's encouraging words had calmed his racing heart, but he knew that the moment of truth was approaching fast. The car came to a stop, and Greggy turned to Irene, gratitude in his eyes.

"I love you!" he said, squeezing her hand. "Let's do this."

Irene nodded with a reassuring smile, and together they exited the car, hand in hand, ready to face the next chapter of their love story.