Fourth Chapter

==========================

Third person POV

Days went by, the paper crane folding continued and came to an end. A whopping 2.5M won was deducted from her debt. She met the deadline, and he was delighted. And that leaves 47.5M won to go.

========================

Y/n POV

It's the annual anniversary ball, and all employees gather at this one-time event every year. I’m with my colleagues, wearing a simple red dress. Though I can say it's a bit too tight for my taste. My closest friends here only forced me to wear it since I had no other choices. I just borrowed it from one of them, and they said it looks good on me. So why not?

From afar, in the midst of the party, I could see him. Jungkook is sitting comfortably with his parents at a VVIP table with other higher-ups. I feel little. There's really no way he really cares about me, right? Maybe he’s just being really considerate. And besides, he’s making me run errands for him. I’m working hard just for him. But then, it doesn’t even justify everything. Maybe… Maybe I’m just thinking too much.

The celebration picks up from the ridiculous performance of chosen participating teams to the awarding of best employees for the year. Thank goodness, our team isn’t on the list. I can’t picture myself dancing in front of Jungkook, even if I’m doing it with the others. It’ll just end my life shorter.

Moving on, I drink a bit of tequila, and I can feel my cheeks getting hot, but I can manage. I just need to go somewhere not crowded to get some fresh air and clear my mind. I can't go home tipsy, I still have work to do. He might call me out even tonight.

Sneaking out of the venue, and really have no one noticing me after all, I end up at the garden where there are a number of trees and a beautiful landscape in display. For 10 minutes, I stare at the beautiful scenery and decide to walk back in when I meet Taehyung, a senior colleague, as I turn around.

Kim Taehyung is one of the most handsome employees in the company. He’s one of the friendliest too. I’m just not sure how I really got to know him. I just eventually found myself in his circle, and we casually have lunch together.

"Hi," he said with his box smile.

"Hi, sunbae," I replied, halting. I think it’s rude to walk out on him right now.

He stands beside me and looks up the sky. The stars are shining brightly tonight, like he is, even if it’s kinda dark in here, I thought.

"The sky looks amazing tonight," he said again.

But as much I really want to stay, I don't feel like staying anymore since my dress is killing me. It looks good, but I don’t feel comfortable. I’m never really the sassy type. So I said, "Sunbae, I'm sorry, I really need to go back. This dress is killing me. I’ll see you later." I smile shyly at him and take a step, but he holds my arm and pulls me back gently.

"Y/n-ssi, can we… talk for a second?" his low, soft voice resounds in my ear.

I look up to him, and I’m a little surprised by the look on his face. He's staring at me so dearly it’s confusing. It’s so intriguing that it draws me to face him. I feel like I need to hear him out right now.

"There's something I need to tell you," he awkwardly restarts.

I still look up to him, all ears. It really seems like something important.

Then he breaks it to me gently, "I think… I like you."

I’m completely surprised, I’m speechless. That came out of nowhere, really. Then I hold my breath as I watch him approach me with those overwhelming eyes. I automatically stepped back until I hit my back on the nearest tree trunk. He places an arm on my side and gazes down on me with eyes burning in desire. He likes me? Like, really? Is he for real?

"Can I kiss you?" he asked, surprising me all over again.

"Tae-sunbae, I-" I finally blurt out.

But he starts shoving in, and I feel my heart racing. It’s not that I don’t like him, but it just feels so fast. We’re barely even friends. Just colleagues who eat lunch together.  But then, as I look into his eyes, it feels like as if I’m being hypnotized that right that moment I close my eyes. But before he even closes the gap between our lips, it’s a total shock that all I see in the darkness of my mind is Jungkook. Jungkook? I snap out of it and open my eyes to see Taehyung simply dying to seal the kiss away. And it makes my heart jump the wrong way. I can not do this with him. I don't hate him. But I just don't think I like him. So I put my hands on his chest and pushed him away. Luckily, he moves away without fighting over it.

"Y/n..." his eyes say he’s upset.

But I have to tell him the truth, "I don't think I feel the same about you, sunbae. I'm sorry." I start walking away covering my lips. I suddenly can't stand to see his face. I just can’t understand myself.

"I'm sorry!" He shouted back at me.

I don’t turn around anymore. I just want to leave the place soon.

Third person POV

As she walks away, leaving Taehyung hanging, little did she know, Jungkook is watching them from the terrace with a piercing stare while gripping his glass of wine, hard.

=======================

Y/n POV

The ball has ended, and I’m about to go home. I avoided meeting with Taehyung again all evening. I hope he gets the right message.

Among the exits, I walk to the one where fewer people are going. I’m trying to sneak my way through when someone just grabs my arm and starts pulling me away. I want to scream at the person, but when I see who it is, I simply shut my mouth, letting him. It’s Jungkook, and I can only stare at his wide back as he drags me to the car park.

Without a word, he drives around for some time, then we reach our destination. It's a high-end condo unit around town. I bet it’s his place because it looks like only rich people live here. He drags me to his unit just as quickly as we arrive. And right after entering his room, he tosses a book at the table and tells me to sit down.

“Translate everything to Korean in 5 days,” he told me.

“Dae..” I just replied. I didn’t know what else to say.

He keeps walking back and forth in front of me, agitated and a bit mad. Why’s he being like this?

"Did you just kiss that guy?" he interrogated abruptly.

I haven't even adjusted to the moment yet but answers him before he loses more of his cool, "What? What are you talking about?"

Then I suddenly remembered Taehyung. He saw us? Was he watching us? When I look up to him, anger showing all over his face, I grimace at him. He was silent all this time, and now what?

"Sir, I don't understand what you're saying--" I tried to deny it, though.

“You can’t date anyone while you’re paying your debt with me, you understand?” He said, gritting his teeth in anger. 

I’m so confused. What’s he so angry about? Doesn't he need me only to fulfill his errands? I’m working zealously for him. He can’t even complain about anything. Then why does this feel like he's jealous about Taehyung? But why does he care so much?

Until he says something disturbing, “You're mine Y/n. Not until our contract is over. And no one's taking you away from me."

I’m in utter shock. I can't even speak. It’s weird. Asking about Taehyung in an angry way, acting like an obsessed boyfriend telling me I’m his, he's starting to stir my thoughts in a disturbingly heart fluttering way. What’s with this sudden change in him? Why are you doing this, Jungkook?

==========================

To be continued…

nantokanarusa 23.10.23