Chapter 2: Lambs And A Rat

The two of you have been running for a while and your hooves began to ache, even though you have been running in a straight line; avoiding any trees that were in the way, it felt like you were running in circles, it was just tress, tress, tress, everything looked the same when finally, there was a clearing.

With a silent agreement you both stopped to catch your breath, you looked around while your gasping eased, there was a tent and a roaring fire pit, someone was here, and you were not in the mood to find out who "Come on, let's continue" you said trying to push Lambert to get a move on.

"Fear not! I am Ratau. I was once a chosen vessel like you, but those days are long lost to the wind" With the sudden appearance of the one-eyed, brown rat, you jumped behind your brother who pulled out his sword but hearing the words 'chosen vessel' he let his guard down.

"wh-what do you mean chosen vessel?" you asked, peeking out.

"I'll explain everything when we get to safety (y/n)" he reassured you, then turned back to Ratau "Why are you here?"

"I was sent to guide you both, we are deep in the lands of the Old Faith and in grave danger. My instructions are to lead you to safety. Continue through the woods. Escape lies ahead. I will be close by." Just as the rat appeared, he disappeared by digging a deep hole.

You and Lambert looked at each other with some confusion on what just happened, when Lambert broke the ice "Are you ready to go?". You gave a determined nod. Knowing that escape is close gives you that second wind.

Walking through the woods was like a maze, with beasts looming around every corner just waiting to pounce, and if they did, Lambert was there to rid of them, it surprised you every time he used the blade, you did not know he knew how to wield it.

Just as the both of you were about to enter the next area Ratau popped up once again startling you, "We have nearly reached safety, but look ahead!" you did just that and saw a cow bound on a stone table struggling to get loose, "another poor soul about to be sacrificed" this made you touch the metal cuffs that where still on your wrists.

"Ok, what should I do, Ratau?" Lambert asked.

"Rescue them and they would have no choice but to join your new cult."

"Wait, what do you mean, new cult?" you asked a bit too loud because it got the attention of one of the cultists.

"Hey! Who interrupts our ritual and trespasses on sacred ground?!" as the fight commenced.

you tried to think of how to help as your brother fought, then an opening, the cultists were too busy with Lambert they did not see you, swiftly, you ran to the poor cow "Please, get me out!" they plea, as you began to undo the tight rope "behind you!" thanks to the warning you spin to see one of the cultists about to slash you, instinctively you put your arms up to block the attack, their sword bounced off your shackles, not wanting to miss the opportunity, you swing your fist to get a hit in, this caused them to stumble back, trying to think of your next plan, a sword pierced through their stomach, causing them to fall limp on the grass.

"Are you alright?" Lambert asked worried, looking for any injuries.

"I'm fine, just help me undo the rope" When the rope was cut off the cow thanked you profoundly, but then you began to think "Lambert, what should we do with them?"

"I have an idea" then there was a portal under the cow who got sucked into it.

"What the, what did you do!" This was starting to get a bit too much for you.

"I told you; I'll explain everything when we get to safety," he said as he ruffled the wool on your head.

In the next room ahead, Ratau was already waiting for you, "We have reached safety. You have done well. The Red Crown will allow you to use those markings on the ground to transport yourself and others to great distances. It will take you to a temple that has fallen to ruin. There you will be able to begin your new cult. I will meet you there." And once again the rat dug and left.

"I have so many questions when we get there, and you better answer all of them" you scolded your brother as you both stepped on the markings.