Chapter 21: Strong Voice

Morning came faster than expected and you are ready to seize the day, but you wanted to do something first. You leave your tent and make your way to the graves; you want to pay your respects to your parents and Almer and have it become part of your daily start to the day. When you get to the site you stop, an uneasy feeling fills you up, next to the three graves are two more holes yet to be filled, all the energy you have for the day slowly diminishes, you know the reason why Lambert made them, but it was hard to swallow, you grow nerves for the Follower, not ready to see another go so soon.

You whisper a quick prayer to the three stones and start with your chores, when the Followers come out for their meal you watch them closely, it will be one of the Follower's last meals today, you look down at your food, which is barely touched.

"(Y/N), what's wrong? Not going to eat?" Namar asks, this got the attention of a few other Followers who are not in beep conversation, some look at you with concern remembering what happened when Lambert was confronting Bishop Heket.

"Oh, nothing wrong, just not that hungry" As you say this, they still look at you, you do not want your uneasiness to grow their concern, if this is to be a Followers final day you are going to have them all be worry-free.

You look down at your food again and take a bite, you see some smile relief washing over them to see you eating again, the newest Followers look somewhat confused, no doubt that they may ask some of the older ones for the story. Mealtime continued as normal. talking, joking around, and getting to know the most recent Followers.

As you get started on tending to the flower garden you hear it, the sound that you are dreading to hear all day.

"No! don't take Namar!"
"Amdusias!"
"What do we do?"
"(Y/N), help!"

But what can you do? You tried to mentally prepare yourself for the inevitable, and it failed. Amdusias and Namar were close to you, the friendship you had with them was a strong bond, and now they are gone.

You take deep breaths to calm your frantic heart.
Get up from the ground.
Dust off any remaining dirt.
One more deep breath in.
Eventually, turn around to face the scared Followers.

You can not tell them to calm down, that they will come back, you walk to the Followers that are now gathering around the shrine, you hope that you can think of something to say to them when you reach but come up empty. They all look at you, waiting for you to say something.

Everything is quiet, the only sound is the wind and soft weeps from Fey, probably remembering Almer.

"What should we do now?"

"Is it over?"

"(Y/N) do you think they are...gone?"

More questions are thrown at you, and with each question, you reply with "I don't know" They are slowly getting more annoyed by the lack of answers, that is until you reach your boiling point.

"I don't know what we are to do, yes, they are probably gone just like Almer, and we can't do anything about it now, I don't know if another one will disappear and face judgment from a Bishop. All we can do right now if they are dead is hope that they had an easy passing to the afterlife!"

They all looked shocked at the fact you have such a powerful voice when needed, and that you have the potential to preach just like Lambert. They mumbled among themselves.

"Let's just wait until Lambert comes back, he will know what to do". Your voice is softer this time. The Followers spread out to continue what they are doing.

With the moment to yourself, you take a glance at the shrine.