Chapter 23: A Day Of Rest

The night was long with you worrying about Lambert, the way he looked during the feast is keeping you up, you want to talk to him, but he asked you to leave him alone in the temple, you respect his wishes and left him, he just needs some time to put his thoughts in order.

When morning came you felt groggy, the night was spent with you tossing and turning trying to get conformable, yet you still got up to begin your daily routine. Praying to the graves, harvesting, watering crops from the farm and starting to cook for the first meal. While doing all this there is no sign of Lambert.

You have no time to search for Lamber due to the Followers waking up, you all eat and talk about the feast from last night, it was a big hit and something that everyone is looking forward for the next one, when the Followers finished eating, they went to do their chores. When putting away the last bowl you see Lambert leave the temple and make his way to the graves, he sits under a tree that has grown close to them, you follow him and sit next to Lambert, the shade provided by the tree is refreshing compared to the blazing sun.

It was quiet at first as you both looked out to the growing cult, just enjoying the sound of nature and the Followers doing their own thing.

"Lambert, about last night" Lambert's calm smile fell, his eyes trail over to the graves hoping to avoid eye contact "Tell me, what is it?".

"It's about The One Who Waits, or Narinder as I found out." you bring your legs up and rest your head on your knees tilting your head to look up at Lambert as you wait patiently for him to continue. "I need to pay him a visit, and I don't think I will survive it. I'm just his vessel after all, I was never meant to survive the beheading and he will finish what he started".

"The One Who Wai-...Narinder, Bishop of death. We should have seen this coming, death is never changing, something that is a guarantee to everyone" you say, you look to the graves then back to Lambert "Almost everyone".

Lambert looks at you with a puzzled expression, "You came back to life during the execution, so maybe death is something that can change, something that you can change!"

"(Y/N), that sounds impossible" Although his words are negative, a hopeful grin makes an appearance on Lambert's face.

"Lambert, you have already done impossible things, you survived an execution, you faced death himself, and you have beaten four Gods of The Old Faith. Gods Lambert, Gods!"

"You might be right (Y/N)" You do not have to look to feel his arm about to ruffle your wool.

"Don't you push it, or else I will finish what that executioner started" you warned, Lambert let out a chuckle and he put his hand back to his side.

A gentle wind comes in rustling the leaves from the tree you two are sitting at, you take the wind as a sign to start a new conversation.

"Keeping on the same serious topic, I have a question". It is your turn to avoid eye contact, "I was reading the book in the temple, all the pages had no mistakes, like you knew what you wanted to write, except one. It was in the rituals and doctrines section, on a page you titled Afterlife, you crossed something out, what was it?"

"It was called Ritual of Resurrection".

"Resurrection? As in come back to life?!"

"Yes, I saw it on a commandment stone, it was around the time Almer passed, I was hoping I could learn it to bring them back, but then I thought it through, and I got scared for something selfish. Having to look at a Follower I killed every day only for them to die again sometime down the line, I didn't want that, it would only cause them to suffer again".

The thought of bringing a Follower back to life seemed like an amazing ability to have, you would not have thought about the suffering aspect of it either, so having to lay the dead to rest seemed like a much better idea.

You two continued to talk throughout the day, it felt like forever that the two of you could just talk the day away. You let out a tired yawn, the day really did fly by.

"That was one big yawn (Y/N), come on, I'll take you back to your tent" Lambert helped you up back to your hooves, you rub some sleep out of your eyes to keep yourself awake as to not stumble.

Before you enter your tent, you have one more thing to say.

"Lambert, don't go doing something stupid without letting me know, so wake me up before you go, alright? Promise me"

"I promise (Y/N), I'll wake you first thing in the morning, now go to bed".

As you lay in your tent you listen, you can hear Lambert walking away as he talks to himself, you let a sigh, you just hope everything will turn out fine.