Chapter 22: The Forth Bishop

It felt like a lifetime before Lambert returned to the Cult, he holds himself as if nothing has happened to two Followers, he makes his way to the temple and waves for you to follow, you drop what you are doing and enter the temple.

You want to speak but your voice got stuck in your throat, so Lambert broke the silence before it got too long.

"How are you doing?" he asks, his voice is soft and serious, a stark difference to the gentle smile he shows. You tilt your head to the side wanting him to expand his question. "I know Amdusias and Namar were close to you".

Your ears droop with sadness, you clear your throat preparing to speak, "Did they suffer?" your paws balled into fists to keep yourself mentally strong for the hurtful answer.

"I did try to snap them out of their curse, and I failed as you can see...but no, they didn't suffer".

You let the breath that you did not know you were holding out, your finger uncurled, and your shoulder lowered, all the tension fades away, yet your heart still feels heavy in your chest.

"Thank you" you whisper out, knowing that your friends did not have to endure such pain did put your mind at ease. "The Followers are also worried about what happened to them, you should hold a sermon to tell them the news, and for also for...them...".

Lambert leads you to the podium, and you ring the bell to announce that a sermon will start soon, you watch as the Followers all come in. Instead of standing alert in your spot, you decide to lean back on the wall this time.

When Lambert began his sermon, you would slip in and out of focusing on what he would say.

"During my crusade, I have once again come in contact with the Bishop of war, Shamura, causing us to lose not one but two of our loyal Followers and friends, along with Almer, I know that Amdusias and Namar are in the afterlife, I would like again to take a moment of silence for them"

The temple grows quiet, the same way as it was for Almer, the sound of birds outside breaking the thick silence.

"Just as I have done three times already, I shall leave tonight for my final crusade into Silk Cradle and break the final chain!"

The Followers cheered at the end as usual and left the temple, Lambert was about to leave behind them but noted that you had no signs of moving.

"(Y/N), are you coming?" This snapes you out of your daze.

"No, not yet, I just want a moment alone" Lambert gives a slight nod and continues to follow the Followers out of the temple.

When finally alone, you set your gaze at the stained glass window that shows the red crown, you never notice until now but the red-shifted light feels both comforting and omens, you make your way to the middle of the stage not tearing your eyes from the window, the black of the crown shielding your eyes from the burning light, the rest of your body having a red tint. The red eye of the crown is looking right at you, observing your movement, watching you.

You turn your back to the window and see the book Lambert uses during his Sermons placed neatly on the podium, it is a simple-looking book, thick with hundreds of pages and a plain red leather cover with the image of the red crown etched in.

The more you look at it the more curious you get, you begin to flip through the pages, at first it appeared to be more of a journal than anything holy, with some pages dedicated to who was in the cult and some to the different people that he has met during crusades, then things took a turn, pages with the images of tarot cards and what they give, pages of rituals and doctrines, Sermon notes and plenty of blank pages to, waiting to be filled in.