4.

[ E X H A L E - S A B R I N A C A R P E N T E R ]

Mitchel's POV
[ 1st person ]

My hands grip the steering wheel just so hard that my knuckles turned white a while ago.
I squeeze both of my eyes closed for a slight second, trying, hoping, and praying to get the conversation with Cassie out of my head.

"Mitchel please-" Her voice broke again, and now also realizing her words seemed kind of slurred. "You, you need to come here. Come here, please. I can't do this I-" The sound of a glass bottle shattering onto the floor was heard in a not-too-far distance.

"Who are you talking to Cas-" another voice in the background, an older one, a male one.

The phone call disconnected, and a single message popped up on my screen.

A live location.

I'm driving through the dark and empty streets, lonely lanters flickering once, twice, until I can't see them anymore.

After about five more minutes of driving, I'm in front of a pretty damaged family house.

The paint slowly splinters off the walls, and some of the windows are broken and fixed with tape.
The door handle hangs low; it almost seems like every second it'll turn into dust, just waiting for the wind to take it away.

Though it might seem like the easiest option, I'm not stupid; I don't knock.
I walk around the backyard, searching for a window that could reveal any kind of living inside a ruin like this.

A thud next to me, I spin around, shining blue eyes glance back at me, the ones I could never forget.

"Run," she says and grips my hand, running forward and almost tipping me over. A few seconds later, a bottle crashes onto the wet mud a few feet away from us.

I can see her looking over her shoulder, panic in her eyes; her lips are slightly parted, like the air she gets through her nose is not enough; she needs more, always.

"Is this yours?" She asks, still looking over her shoulder, like the front door is going to be shoved open every second, and it does.

I nod, not exactly knowing what is happening, but the man running toward us does not seem good. Cassie's already in the passenger seat when he's halfway to my car, and I begin to panic.

I sit down on the driver's seat and shut the door.

"DRIVE MITCHEL NOW." Cassie's voice rings through my ears, my hand shakily finds the keyhole, and it takes me two seconds, with an anxious girl next to me and a socialpath outside my window, to finally manage for the car to roar to life.

"HEY!" The man who just chased Cassie is now directly next to my window, and I do the only thing I can think of.

I drive.

"STOP THE CAR." He yells, but we're already out of sight.

When my breathing finally slows back to normal, I hear a slight sob next to me. I look to my side.
The girl next to me is curled up, her arms slung around her legs, and her face is hidden by her ash blonde hair in between her knees.

At her feet lies a backpack, ripped up, and it feels like if you'd hold it wrong, the contents would fall out just like that.

"Are you okay?" I ask, cringing slightly, thinking about what just happened.

"I'm sorry, I don't know. can we... can we talk about it another time?" The anxiety in her voice makes me wonder what she's been through in that household and what made her call me to get away from.. whoever that was.

We drive in silence back to the motel where me and the boys are staying at the moment.

-

Cassie's POV
[ 1st person ]

This was a mistake. I've never been more worried in my life than in this moment.
He's going to find me; he's going to destroy me.

God, what have I done?

We're in front of a motel—the ones you always see in movies.
The bad guys always search first.

The cement under my soles is wet and makes squishing sounds every time my foot hits the floor.
The rain runs down my face, making my hair uncomfortably stick to it.
The moon shines brightly in the darkest nights; I can tell it always does. It did when The Accident happened.
And now it shines bright after escaping my worst fear.
And somehow, that made everything worse.

Mitchel stops in front of a door, number 13, and fidgets with his keys, opening his mouth like he wants to say something but decides against it.
He does it another time until he finally speaks. "The, uh, the others are in here- we all live together. I don't know if that would make you uncomfortable or anything?"

He looks up, it takes me 5 seconds to process what he's talking about, 6 to think about what words might escape my mouth next, and another 5 to actually answer.

It took me sixteen seconds in total.

"No problem at all." I look up, counting the ripples in the curtains that have been closed.
I get to 23, Mitchel finds the right key, 27, sticks it in the keyhole, 31, turns it around, and 34 opens the door.

46 ripples are in the curtains, waiting for someone to rearrange them to welcome the sunlight.

I step inside, and five pairs of eyes stare at me—10 eyes in total.

"Hi," the blonde, Christian, is the first one to speak.

"Hi," I say, smiling slightly, unsure of what to do.

"Everyone, this is Cassie, she's gonna stay with us.. " Mitchel, behind me, hesitates, "For now..If i catch any of you idiots being weird or anything, I'm throwing you out." He makes some hand gestures before finally stepping forward.

"Exciting!" Christian says and jumps up "Want a skittle?"

I look down just to be met with an enormous pack of skittles Christian is holding up.
I skeptically raise an eyebrow at him.

"No, thank you, though." That makes him throw his arms in the air in utter disbelief. He starts pacing around the room just to stop in front of me again, his jaw hanging open. "Hey Mr. There's Worse Out There You Know I Found Yourself a Best Friend."

He turns around to a man I don't recognize and throws a pillow at him, which has been lying on the floor.

"YOU MOTHERFU-" The man jumps up and snatches the pack of skittles from the blonde. "Enough sugar for Kras." The man with almost black hair states, and though I have only known them for about three minutes, I agree.

After a while, Mitchel finally gets everyone to settle down and starts introducing everyone.

"This," he points at Mr. There's Worse Out There You Know "Is Xavier our best friend and biggest idiot, after Christian." He smirks at the reactions of his friends, and I can't help but smile.

"That," he points at a guy with dark brown hair, about shoulder length, the same as Christian. "Is Jesse our drummer, he's always late." I nod in Jesse's direction and flash him a quick smile, he waves with chips in his mouth.

"I guess you already know Clinton, he's my brother and always making out in some corner with Jesse." Everyone starts laughing except for me, who doesn't get the joke. I awkwardly smile, everyone settles again, and Mitchel goes on.

Mitchels looks down onto his phone for a second, checking something, he keeps talking. "Over there we have Pat he's our bassist and never where he's supposed to b-" Mitchel looks up. "Where in the actual-"

"Anywayss? Moving on, we have Skittle Dude, whom you also know by now. His name is Christian, and yea. I guess that's it." He finishes the introduction.

I can't help but wonder how I've managed to get out of my house and tumble into whatever this here is.

And I'm scared of the fact that I like it here.