A Fair Outing

I didn't really order anything for myself since I was bombarded by everyone else. Nachos, blooming onions, sausages, turkey legs, ribs, hot dogs, corn dogs, hush puppies, and anything I could possibly think of that was deep fried ended up in my mouth. My personal favorite was the fried cheese and the deep fried oreo that I tried out.

"Did you see?" Theo demanded, turning so I could see his wrist. "Mikey and I got matching tats!"

"They're temporary, Theo. It's not permanent," Jay laughed.

Michael scowled, grumbling about being talked into getting a tattoo. I thought it was cool, but he obviously hated them for some reason.

"But look!" Theo insisted, showing off the black widow and her web. "It's so cool!"

"Nice!" Chris nodded. "Did you see our matching bracelets?" He showed it off, letting everyone get a good look. "Joey bought them!"

"I really like those!" Steve grinned, grabbing another nacho.

"What did you do?" I asked Steve.

"We went to the petting zoo!" Steve answered, eyes gleaming. "And they had baby chicks!"

"Aww!" I couldn't help myself. "Did they have bunnies?"

"So many! And goats, lambs, a few chickens, ducks, a pig, a donkey, and a little Shetland pony!" Steve listed them off.

"Did you guys see my penguin?" I randomly asked, reminded by Steve's experience. "Chris won him for me at a game!"

Once our excitement and experiences had been shared, we calmed down enough to plan out the rest of the evening. Jay suggested we do the corn maze and the fun house after we were finished eating, that way we wouldn't get sick on the rides.

~

I screamed, jumping into Mikey as a zombie came out between a row of corn. Mikey grinned, tucking me beneath his arm protectively as we tried to find our way out. We had split into three teams so we could race each other, but I had lost track of where everyone had split off. I was just glad Mikey didn't mind when I practically bowled him over every five minutes.

"Are you okay?" Mikey snickered, wrapping his scarf around my neck.

"I think my heart is going to give out before we get out of here," I murmured, leaning into him so I could peek around the corner.

"It's a good thing I know CPR then, huh?" Mikey joked.

Michael had always been reserved, and of all my brothers, the least expressive. I didn't know him well, mainly since we were both so busy all the time, and we never had a chance to bond one on one. But I was getting a glimpse of his gentle humor, his compulsion to take care of people, and his penchant for being particular.

We rounded another corner, and I grinned triumphantly as the end came into view, only to shriek and spring into Mikey as a man with a chainsaw and a ski mask appeared in front of us. He had a creepy laugh, and dry ice was coming from somewhere which added to the creepiness.

"Joey, you screamed like a girl!" Theo teased.

"Yeah, well, I wasn't expecting that!" I huffed, although I knew he was joking.

"That's kind of the point," Chris stated, raising an eyebrow.

"Are Jay and Steve done yet?" Mikey inquired.

Before anyone could say anything, a shrill screech had us whirling around. Steve was running for his life as the chainsaw freak popped in and out of the corn stalks at random intervals and laughed in his face. Jay was on his heels, steadying him as he clumsily tripped over his feet or closed his eyes.

"Do we have to do the haunted house?" Steve panted, still pale from fright.

"I could stay with you if you wanted," I offered, seeing the obvious disappointment in the other's faces.

"Okay!" Theo chirped happily. "Let's go!"

"Hey, we'll meet you at the Ferris Wheel, okay?" Jay decided, squeezing Steve tight for a moment before trying to catch up to the others.

"What do you want to do?" I asked, avoiding the food booths since I knew we'd be doing rides soon.

"Well, we could play a game or do a ride while we're waiting on everyone," Steve suggested.

We ended up playing a ring toss game, which we were both awful at. But it was still fun, and we left laughing, so I thought it was worth it in the end. The lights were coming on as dusk faded into true night. The crowd was thickening as the families left and all the teenagers and young people came out. I couldn't wait to see how everything looked from the top of the Ferris Wheel.

Steve grabbed my hand in an effort to stay together. He frowned as he realized how cold my hands were, and shoved both of our hands into his pocket.

"Jay has an extra pair of mittens in his coat. He'll let you borrow them when we meet back up," Steve told me.

In short order, we had met up again, and Steve had asked for the mittens. I was still cold despite my coat, beanie and mittens, but I was to enthusiastic to care. The Ferris Wheel only allowed for two adults in a carriage, so we all split up again. I didn't hardly speak to Theo at all since I was so entranced by the lights all around, and the other rides, but he didn't seem to mind. I did have to help him get off the carriage though, and I noticed he seemed to be hurting a bit.

"Let's sit for a minute," I suggested. "I need a break."

Theo nodded without a word, leaning back into the seat with a grateful hum. I shivered, something he picked up on. He wrapped an arm around me, letting me cuddle as we waited for everyone else to get off.

"Is your leg bothering you?" I asked softly.

"Just a bit. It gets sore sometimes. I'll put on some cream and ice it before bed," Theo shrugged. "Are you okay? You've been cold for a while."

"I'll be okay!" I assured him.

Then we were off for the next hour. We got some more food on the way out, much quieter than when we came. We were all tired and chilled, but happy all the same.

Steve drove me and Jay home, and I curled up on the backseat, nodding off. The car was blessedly warm, and Steve and Jay were softly talking, and before I knew it I was out.

Jay shook me awake, helping me out of the car and into the house. Michael had arrived before us and was doing something in the kitchen. It was only eight thirty, but I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep. We had been out since three, and walking everywhere plus being in the nippy October air was bound to make anyone tired.

"Come on!" Chris grinned from the doorway to the den. "We're cuddling and watching Nightmare before Christmas!"

I huddled into the corner of the couch, swallowed by the blankets and Jay's huge body. Mikey offered me some hot apple cider, but I knew I wouldn't be awake for much longer.

Somehow, for that brief time, I got my wish. I felt like one of them, no longer an outsider. I smiled drowsily as the lights were dimmed and the movie started. I wasn't so alone anymore. I had a lot of family, and I was grateful to feel so loved.

"Shh, don't wake him," I heard Jay say. "I'll just carry him up. He can sleep in my room."

Before long I was settled in Jay's bed, wrapped in blankets and cuddling into his chest. Sleep descended quickly, but not before I heard Jay's sweet words.

"Goodnight, bud," He whispered. "I'll keep you warm and safe tonight. You'll never be alone again, I swear it."

A smile slowly broke across my face, and the last thing I remembered was his chin resting above my head, and the light squeeze of his arms.