Bizarre Circumstances

If there are mistakes, please feel free to comment so I can fix them! This is a rough, uncut version of this story, and I haven't had time to properly edit or polish anything, for which I apologize.

I will update this story every Thursday evening or Friday morning.

Picture is of Joey.

Joey's P. O. V.

I swallowed as my aunt sauntered up the walk. She seemed oddly happy which never boded well for me. She knocked cheerily on the door of a two story home. It looked much nicer than our tiny two bedroom house.

They had a nice porch with outdoor furniture and a swing, there was a two car garage, and there was a nice, well tended garden lining the porch. Window boxes held pansies, and there was a small rock and succulent garden by the mailbox too.

My hands were clamming up as Aunt Garnet waited for the door to open. Sweat lined my lip as I watched her uncertainly.

"Aunt Garnet...what are we doing here?" I inquired.

"You'll see!" She snapped, rolling her eyes.

The door swung open, revealing a man about thirty years old. His hair was a light blond and his light scruff matched. Fatigue was clear in his sky blue eyes and the set of his pale pink lips. He was rather fit, and his height of six feet two dwarfed my pitiful 5' 5".

"Hello?" His voice was calm and deep, demanding attention immediately.

"Hi. You don't know me, but I'm Garnet Belle, your mother's sister," Aunt Garnet sniffed.

The man stiffened at the mention of his mother, and I winced a little.

"And why are you here?" He prompted, leaning against the door frame to make sure Aunt Garnet couldn't slip inside.

"Oh, I'm dropping your half brother off. I'm going on a cruise, and I can't trust him on his own," my aunt casually shrugged.

My mouth suddenly felt dry and my heart sped up. What the heck was happening?

"Here's his birth certificate if you want to check," Aunt Garnet fluttered a paper in the man's face.

"What? No, we can't take him," the man logically protested. "Take him to a friend's house or something!"

I scuffed my shoe against the stone porch, hunching my shoulders uncomfortably. I didn't have friends - I had too much to do. Chores, homework, actual work...

"Him? He doesn't have friends!" Aunt Garnet breathed out a laugh.

I held my breath, not knowing what I wanted. Staying with a perfect stranger would be horrifying, but Aunt Garnet would just find someone worse if he didn't take me in.

I glanced up at him, noticing that something in his eyes had changed. They were slightly angry as the scrutinized my Aunt, but seemed to soften when they met my own.

"Fine. I guess he can stay. How long will you be gone?" The man sighed.

"Two months."

My jaw dropped as did the other man's. We stared at her, but she didn't seem to notice. Instead, she spun on her heel and marched to the car, popping the trunk. I blinked as she tossed a single duffle onto the lawn and then sped off.

I felt frozen and unsure as to what to do. I was literally standing on someone's porch, hoping I would have a roof over my head for the night.

My feet mechanically moved, taking me to where my things were. The bag was pretty light, and I worried that she didn't pack me enough for two months.