First Dinner

Joey's P. O. V.

I followed Jay and Chris into the kitchen and around the corner where a breakfast nook sat. It was built into a bay window which overlooked the backyard. Along the back counter, Michael had set up the food in a buffet style. Chicken thighs and rice, steamed broccoli, Hawaiian rolls, butter, fruit salad and a homemade cherry pie filled the air with the most amazing aroma.

"Grab a plate," Michael grinned, washing his hands at the sink.

I waited until Theo, Chris, and Jay had piled their plates high with food before taking one myself. I hesitantly placed a juicy thigh on my plate with a scoop of rice, a roll, and some broccoli. If I wasn't too full, I'd come back for fruit and dessert. I slid onto the bench beside Chris, noticing that drinks and cups were on the table already. There was iced tea, water, and milk to choose from.

"That's all you're going to eat?" Theo smirked. "No wonder you look like a walking skeleton."

I glanced over, noticing that Theo's plate held just a bit more than mine. Chris glared daggers at Theo, while Jay sat and stuffed his face, not seeming to care.

"Hey, guys! Sorry I'm late!" A soft, warm voice floated in from the foyer.

An instant later, a man entered the room. His eyes were a frosty blue like Michael's, but he was average tight like Theo. Unlike the others, he had hardly any muscle to speak of, although he was still quite handsome. He was all soft, round edges, boyish blond curls, and pastel colors. His black glasses gave him an air of intelligence, but his soft, purple shirt and light colored pants made him seem slightly feminine.

"Steve! Meet Joey," Chris introduced me. "He's staying with us for a couple months. Michael said he'd explain in a bit."

"Oh!" Steve seemed surprised, yet still welcoming. "I'm glad to meet you, Joey."

"Thanks," I blushed, "Nice to meet you too."

Michael brought two plates over - one for himself, and one for Steve. Once everyone was settled, Michael began explaining the events that led to me intruding into their lives.

"Wait - she just dumped your stuff and drove off?" Steve gaped at me, not believing his ears.

I played with the remaining rice on my plate as I avoided his gaze.

"Y-yeah. I'm sorry. It's really not fair for you guys," I apologized.

"But she just...left you here!" Steve repeated. "With strangers!"

"She said we're half brothers," I pointed out timidly. "I guess she just thought it would be alright."

"Well, it isn't!" Theo bit out.

"Theodore Roswell Pyre!" Steve scolded, frosty eyes turning fiery in an instant.

Theo wilted in his seat, seeming to settle down. He sulked, but he seemed to relinquish his attitude for the most part.

"Sorry," he muttered.

"N-no," I blinked back tears. "Don't be. I invaded your home, your lives, and your privacy. It's okay if you're mad."

"It's not like you had much of a choice, though," Jay spoke up.

I opened my mouth a few times to say something, but no words would come. He was right. I didn't even know what was happening when she walked up to the door. The overwhelming urge to cry hit me, only this time I knew I couldn't shove it in a crevice of my mind to deal with later.

"Can I be excused to the bathroom?" I asked, barely holding it together.

Michael's head snapped up, a confused glimmer in his eyes as he studied me.