Firsts

"Sejeong-ah? Sejeong-ah? Yah, Kim Sejeong!"

Sejeong bolted towards the living room in panic, "What, what's wrong?"

"Do you think the balloon arch should be higher?"

Sejeong scoffed and held onto her chest dramatically, "For crying out loud, Inah. I thought something was wrong."

"Whoops, sorry!" she smiled apologetically, "I just wanted to make sure everything looks good."

Seojun let out a squeal from his playpen and the two of them laughed, "I guess that answers your question." Sejeong responded.

The sound of the front door opening loudly startled the both of them, in came Hyoseop carrying three large boxes stacked up to his chest. Sejeong quickly ran over to help, surprising herself at how heavy they were, "What the hell are in these?"

"Just a few more props, I made sure to include a pinata in there stuffed to the brim with sweets, bubble guns, more costumes, and goody bags for everyone coming. Do you think Seojun will be happy with that?"

Hyoseop placed the boxes on the floor, "He's one."

"One-year-olds are incredibly observant nowadays!" Inah shrugged, "this might be a core memory for him. Now, can you both help me lift the balloon arch just slightly higher on the wall?"

The three of them spent the next thirty minutes finalising the decorations around the room, occasionally entertained by Seojun's laughter and antics. Despite how tired he was, Hyoseop had to admit Inah had a knack for these things. Their living room was completely transformed into a sunny wonderland, which Sejeong had requested as the theme for Seojun's first birthday party. The bright yellow balloon arch was perfect, coupled with a string of fairy lights across the room and Seojun's name spelled in big letters across the wall.

Inah looked around one last time before sighing in fulfillment, "Well done, team!"

He wiped the sweat off his forehead, "Thanks again, Inah. It all looks fantastic."

"Ma!"

Seojun's voice caught everyone's attention, and they all turned around to see him point at Doenjang, who was lying sideways on the floor with toy bricks over her body. Meanwhile, Baul was hiding underneath Seojun's favourite blanket, in fear that she might have to do the same thing.

The sight made them all laugh, and Sejeong approached her son, "You cutie, don't do that to Doenjang," she said as she took the bricks off her first daughter, and Doenjang scurried off into the distance. She then picked up her son and pointed at the living room, "What do you think, Seojun-ah?" Sejeong asked her son as she lifted him up, showing him around, "Did your auntie do a good job?"

Seojun's round eyes grew wider as he looked at the decorations. He let out a giggle and started clapping his hands, which made Inah coo, "That is literally the best compliment I have ever received. Now, why don't you three get ready while I set up the cake and food!"

"You sure you don't want any more help?" Hyoseop asked.

"Go, go! I'll be fine, people will start arriving in an hour so let's get a move on!"

...

Sejeong buttoned up her son's onesie and took a good look at him, lying on the bed, "Aren't you the most adorable thing I've ever seen?"

Seojun didn't stay still for long as he flipped on his back and started crawling on the bed, attempting to reach his favourite bunny plushy that was on the other side. Sejeong couldn't help but think about how fast flies as she gets older. It seems like it was just yesterday that they brought their baby home, both of them having no idea what to do. There were countless sleepless nights, where she'd make an emergency phone call to her mother at an ungodly hour, just because she was convinced her son was dying. Her mother had very patiently told her each time, the worry never disappeared, but eventually, she'd realise that everything would be okay.