Questions

"Okay, I think that's the last."

"Yep, do you still need my help, umma?"

Sejeong smiled at her son, "You can go play now, Seojun."

The four-year-old smiled as he skipped happily towards his bedroom. The two of them had spent the entire afternoon cleaning up after Lunar New Year celebrations. Hyoseop's family was in town and had come over, along with Sejeong's parents, which meant the entire day was filled with endless chatter, food, and for little Seojun, collecting pockets of money.

Placing the last plate inside the cupboard, Sejeong exhaled in relief and threw herself onto the couch. Hyoseop was still out dropping his parents off at their hotel, so she got to enjoy a few moments of silence. Eventually getting bored, she walked towards her son's bedroom and laughed at the sight of him now covered in paint.

"Ahn Seojun, you shouldn't paint yourself like that."

Seojun grinned and stood up, placing the paintbrush back in a cup, "I just wanted to see what it would be like to have a tattoo."

She approached him and crouched down, brushing his bangs, "Do you want to have a tattoo when you grow up?"

Seojun looked at himself, "Hmm, maybe not," he shook his head, "I don't want to look like this forever."

Letting out a giggle, she took his hand and led him towards the bathroom, "Come on baby, bath time."

...

Watching him splash around, Sejeong couldn't help but think about where the time went. It felt like just yesterday she was saying her vows out loud, and now she had a son in front of her, exploring the bathtub.

"Umma?"

"Yes?"

"Why do I get money today?"

She laughed, "Why? Don't you like it?"

"I do," Seojun nodded, "but I don't understand why it's only once a year."

"Well, you know how we celebrate the new year? It's tradition that you kids receive money up until you get married," she replied while caressing the top of his head.

Seojun pursed his lips, "But that's not fair, you and appa should get money too!"

"I wish honey, I wish,"

The young boy picked up the toy boat that was floating through the water and mimicked the sounds of a speedboat. The entire day, he'd been wondering if celebrating the new year was like celebrating Christmas. It was quite similar, receiving money was almost like receiving unwrapped or unbought presents.

He looked at this mother once more, "Umma?"

"Hmm?"

He hesitated, "Does this mean I get to ask for a present today?"

"It doesn't quite work that way," Sejeong smiled, "but tell me what you want. You've been such a good boy today, maybe we can work something out."

His eyes lit up, "Really?"

Nodding, she held his chin up, "What do you want, sweetheart?"

"Earlier this week, when we were at Uncle Rowoon's house, Minjae told me something very interesting."

Minjae was Rowoon's son, who had arrived a year after Seojun, "What was it?" Sejeong asked.

"He said he was waiting for a special delivery, his umma said he was going to get a baby sister soon."

Sejeong's eyes widened, Rowoon had yet to tell Hyoseop that his wife was pregnant with their second child. She looked at her son's beaming eyes, preparing herself for the words that were about to come out of his mouth.