4. Kalopsia

Kalopsia: "The delusion of things being more beautiful than they really are."

As night fell, the hospital was eerie quiet. The hallways were silent and still, with only the sound of the occasional beeping of medical equipment. She proceeded cautiously, her eyes skimming the nameplates on the doors. Just as she was about to turn the corner, she noticed Jae-in's mother emerged from one of the rooms. Thinking quickly, she ducked back behind the corner, hoping she hadn't been seen. 'That must be where Simone is,' She thought to herself. The coast was clear, and she hurried down the hallway towards the room she came out of.

Noticing there wasn't a nameplate on the door, she sighed, preparing herself, then opened it.

"I'm not taking that fucking medication-" Simone turned to look at the door thinking it was her mate but it was Charlotte. She sighed inwardly, closing her mouth and looking away from the door. Charlotte walked in, closing and locking the door behind her just in case someone tried to come in and interrupt their conversation. She could feel her heart racing as a mix of emotions overwhelmed her. Seeing her again made her heart flutter, yet it was mixed with feelings of anger and betrayal. Although she had missed her, the hurt of being lied to and used still lingered. Simone had a distant look on her face while she gripped the bed sheets, her neck covered up with bandages from the bruising Jae-in gave her.

"You were using me the whole time just to escape." Charlotte mumbled,

"You tricked me. You killed Jin-sun. You hurt Jae-in... but I still." Her voice cracked while she wiped a tear that fell.

"But I still held Jae back because I didn't want her to kill you." Simone got up from the bed and walked towards the door. Charlotte glanced up as Simone passed her, and then she reached the door, unlocking it and peeking outside. After a brief moment, Simone shut the door again and locked it.

"What are you doing?" She asked, confused as Simone faced her.

"I was just checking if she was out there." She answered, grabbing Charlotte's wrist and bringing her towards the bed.

"What? Who?" Simone sat back down on the bed with Charlotte next to her.

"Rhea, my mate." She rubbed her neck, tucking a loose hair behind her ear.

"Why? Scared she's going to find out you were fucking someone else for two years?"

"Our relationship isn't like that." She mumbled and Charlotte scoffed,

"You're mates, of course it's like that." Simone sighed deeply looking at Charlotte who was visibly irritated.

"If I tell you something, will you promise not to tell Jae-in. It's not the right time for her to know yet." Charlotte rolled her eyes, thinking about it for a couple minutes.

"Whatever. Speak." She huffed, looking to the side. Simone smiled. She missed her and her attitude.

"Our relationship is just her keeping me alive in order to maintain her own power. She fears any sign of weakness. When she saved me earlier, it was to preserve her own strength."

"What does this have to do with Jae-in not knowi-?"

"I'm getting to it."

"When I first met her, I knew we weren't compatible. Although we had a strong mate bond, there was no love between us. She kidnapped my ex and her mate at the time just to get me to be closer to her. She only saw Kenna once -"

"Wait, Kenna is your ex?" Charlotte asked in disbelief.

"The redhead warrior chick?" Simone laughed.