9. Sillage

Sillage: "The scent that lingers in the air, the trail left in water, the impression made in space after something or someone has been and gone; the trace of someone's perfume."

17 years ago. Autumn: 7 years old.

"Charlotte! Charlotte!" Charlotte looked over her shoulder to see who was shouting her name. It was her friend Autumn.

For the past three years, they have been best friends. Since they were the only younger Omegas in the pack, their friendship came naturally.

When he reached her, he leaned over and rested his hands on his thighs in an attempt to catch his breath. He had run from the pack house entrance and all the way across the open field.

"What happened?" Charlotte asked, turning fully towards Autumn, who stood back up.

"There's twins joining the pack! I heard they're Alpha's sister's kids."

"Are they our age?" Charlotte asked her face, lighting up. Since the pack didn't have any children their age to play with, she was thrilled. There were older kids, but they had no desire to play with seven - and eight-year-olds.

"No, they're five, but they act like our age... They're Dominant Alphas, too, so that explains why..."

"Look! There they are!" Charlotte pointed past Autumn. He looked towards the direction she was pointing at and saw them.

"Are we really going to play with them? They're five." Excited to see new faces in the pack, Charlotte rushed past him and toward the twins. Autumn watched, a pouty expression on his face, as she ran off.

12 years ago. Autumn: 12 years old.

Charlotte has been glued to the twins every day since they arrived. Autumn attempted to spend time with all of them as well, but Charlotte wasn't very interested in him.

He felt hurt. Autumn no longer considered her as his best friend, though he would occasionally try to talk to her but would either be ignored or receive very little response. A small part of him wishes they could return to how they were before the twins arrived.

Autumn cast a quick glance down at his glasses, which he had removed to clean his lenses. After finishing and putting them back on, he took a quick look around the field where the pack's warriors were training. He turned to look to his right and saw the twins and Charlotte walking and conversing. He let out a deep breath and gathered the courage to approach Charlotte and attempt to strike up a conversation.

He got up and walked over to them, wiping his hand on his pants as he moved. His anxiety was rising in his throat, making him wonder why he was doing this. However, it was already too late; he was there. He put his hand up to wave.

"Hey -" Charlotte, not even turning to face him, walked past him.

Autumn stood there, his face burning in embarrassment as he turned and watched them go, waiting for Charlotte to turn around and say something.

But she didn't. He spun around again, his eyes becoming clouded by tears, and his fists clenched.

8 years ago. Autumn: 16 years old.

Autumn was bundled up since it was winter. He was sitting underneath his favorite tree on a sled that he was using as a chair, reading a romance novel. He was wearing his snow suit, his favorite winter coat, a scarf, a hat, good snow boots, and hand warmers in his mittens. He smiled to himself. He got to the part in the story where they finally confessed to each other. It was a slow burn, but it was worth it.