UNDERGROUND LIBRARY

Chapter Fourteen

Was it just him or night was approaching too fast? The sky was darkening too fast. After escaping the Rebel Gang, Pierre had lost his sense of direction. Confusion, fear, anger and ignorance dominated his thoughts. Who were they? Why were they here? How did they know him, and why would they want to harm him? A scorpion scurried by silently at the base of the tree he was sitting under as a lazy cloud hovered in front of the orange sun, making the sky a shade darker.

     "Pierre." He raised his chin which he had propped on his raised knees and looked around, straining his eyes to see if there was any form of life around. Nothing.

     "Pierre." He lifted his head again. Still, nothing.

     "Pierre." The voice was louder this time. Whoever or whatever was calling, was not giving him the chance to think.Surprisingly, he was not scared. He was in an ancient kingdom. Not just any ancient kingdom, Matanceros, a land of wonders, a land of tomorrow. Anything could happen here. Though tired, and hungry, he made to get up and move somewhere else to recollect and arrange his thoughts. What he was met with almost threw him into a panic fit, but he managed to maintain his composure.

The person standing before him and stopping him from taking a step further smiled and moved closer to him. Pierre also took two steps back. The person smiled and took another step towards him. He stepped back.

     "Not scared, huh? Well, you don't have to be. We're good friends after all. Aren't we, Pierre?"

Pierre's back was now touching the trunk of the tree. He wanted the voice he always heard to instruct him to do something. But what? Escape? Fight? Surrender? Talk?. Okay he could talk but what was he going to say to the man he had killed with his own hands? As if the person had read his mind, he said, "I can see you are at a loss of words, but I want you to tell me something. The day I was buried, you came to talk to me at my grave, as you destroyed the wreath my wife and children had given to me." His eyes dilated and his smile abruptly faded as he said the last words.

He sat down at the base of the tree and motioned for Pierre to do same. He sat by him, keeping a distance between the two of them.

     "Well you didn't finish your talk, I want you to continue, and probably, end it."

     "Jean-Paul, what are you talking about?", he said, trying to avoid eye contact.

     "Okay let me help you. Before you left, you said you wish you never killed me. I want you to continue."

     "Jean-Paul, I...I was......" His lips trembled as he spoke. The same scorpion came by again and he found himself staring intently at it as they lapsed into silence. A gentle wind blew and he looked next to him. Jean-Paul was gone. A little wave of relief washed him over and he rested his head against the tree. So he was not alive after all.

At the base of the tree was a writing, " See you when you're ready to talk, brother."

                    *********
    "Kiko, Kiko can I get your attention for a short while?"
He paused and stood, watching the others leave before them. She sighed. So he was going to listen to her. She looked up at the sky, thinking of what to say when she realised that it was darker than usual. Kiko followed her gaze and looked up with her. His facial expression showed he was not pleased with the atmosphere.

     "Miya." Silence. "Miya, I'm listening."

     "Huh? Sorry. Can we walk as we talk?" Funnily, he began to walk at a place that not even the fastest snail could catch up.
Miya had to stifle her laughter. Kiko could be effortlessly funny at times. And that was one thing that made her like him the more. Even though he seemed a little rude and stone hearted, he had a good side after all.

     "No Kiko. Not at that pace. I mean, slow down." As she jogged to catch up with him, she thought she saw a small smile at the corners if his lips. The lips immediately turning from curved to straight, Miya made to speak.

     "So, Kiko, are we friends?"

     "Wow, Miya. You're an idiot."

Her mind told her.
She expected silence, and a death glare as the answer to her absurd question but Kiko answered, "Yeah, I guess."

     "Is it okay if I keep asking questions?" He nodded.

     "Aside sculpting, what's your next favorite thing?"

     "I don't know, archery, shape shifting, maybe?"

But you got hurt the last time you shape shifted.

     "Best animal you've ever transformed into?"

     "The golden eagle."
Wow.

     "Favorite flower?"

     "Petunia." They both gasped, and looked at each other. As if to stop them from begining an awkward staring contest, he nervously ran his hands through  his hair and asked, "What about you, best animal you've ever transformed into?"

Wow, Kiko. You're also an idiot.

    She smiled and said, "I can't shape-shift, because....you know...."
Then Kiko did something. He began to laugh. Not a shy or rude kind of laughter. He laughed like he actually wanted to, and had Miya joining him.

As their laughter gradually subsided, Miya cleared her throat.

     "So, I was wondering if I could get to know more about you. I mean.....it can be something mutual. You talk about you, I talk about me. What do you think.?"

A shy smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she raised her eyes to look at an equally smiling Kiko.

     Whoa.....wow.....Okay.

     "So, what do you do want to know?"

     "Anything, your family, anything you want to share."
He sighed heavily, putting her in serious suspense.
     "Okay, we'll talk. But first let's get to that shelter and rest. We've been walking for long."

He pointed to the left and lo and behold, there was a shed, standing there as if waiting for them. He left her behind as he run to catch up with the others and motion them to the shed.

     "So he's going to talk this time. No, we're going to talk." She said between smiles, admiring his every action from a distance. She was really in love with Kiko.

__________________________________

So, here goes nothing..... Chapter Fourteen is out.....long time.... verrrry looong time I know.... sorry......

Please

Vote

And

Leave

A

Comment.

Your suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks.

Salamat.