4 - Phone Calls

"Daisy! You don't understand," Alana said to her friend over the phone. "I am losing. My. Mind. He is just so infuriating."

"I bet the sexual tension is just off the charts when you two are in a room together."

Alana groaned. "Why am I talking to you about this?"

"Because the only people you talk to are me and your sister, who is dating the person you're complaining about," Daisy oh-so-helpfully explained.

"Thank you, Daisy. Thank you for the reminder that I don't have friends."

"Anytime, babe. I'm always here for you. But in all seriousness," she switched topics, "Maybe you should just let it happen—hear me out. He knows whatever he does bothers you, so if you keep showing it, he'll keep doing it. Oh, my god, Lana! He totally likes you."

"Daisy," Alana said with a warning tone. She kept walking around campus. It was a great place to pace since there were so many walkways.

"No, listen. It's the whole pulling pigtails thing. He annoys you because he doesn't know how to express that he likes you."

"Daisy, have you forgotten that he is in a relationship with my sister? He has a girlfriend. They are dating, and they are happy together. How and why would he like me when he has her?"

"Have you never liked two people at the same time? I don't know why I'm asking; you and I both know the answer to that is that you have." Alana let out a breath that sounded like a suppressed laugh. "But anyway, didn't you say that they don't seem very couple-y?"

"Yeah, I mean, maybe they just aren't about PDA. But if you didn't know them, it could totally look like they're just friends."

"Well, based on that, my theory is that they really would be better off as friends because they probably have better chemistry with other people."

"I don't like where you're going with this, Daisy."

"Okay, listen, whether he is actually into you or not, I think it's a solid theory. I mean, you said it yourself. They act like they're just friends. That kind of thing can happen, you know. People try dating then realize that the chemistry isn't there, and they work better as friends. Look at me and you."

"We never dated. We only made out that one time...And you're straight. And either way, it doesn't really matter because I can't do anything about it."

"Well, I didn't know that at the time. I was figuring myself out. But yeah, it sounds like you're gonna have to just wait this one out."

Alana let out a sigh. She seemed to be doing that a lot lately. She checked the time quickly and realized how fast her time between classes passed. "I gotta go, Daisy. My class starts in a few minutes."

"That sucks. Have fun. And keep me updated on your love triangle."

"Goodbye, Daisy," Alana deadpanned.

"I love you, Lana."

"Love you, too," she replied exasperatedly but genuinely.

"Bye."

"Bye." Alana hung up and turned around to walk toward the building her class would be in.