8 - Cramps

"Oh, god," Alana grumbled to herself. She turned in bed, trying to find a more comfortable position. Nothing felt soothing, and no matter how she lay, her cramps refused to subside. She then yelled out, "Ani!"

Not hearing an answer, she tried again. After a third time, Dylan spoke from outside her closed door. "She's busy. What do you need?"

She groaned. "Girl thing. What's she doing?"

"Lani, you can tell me if it's another mosquito. I can get that."

"No, this time it actually is a girl thing."

"Alright. Do you need something?"

Alana paused for a second. He probably just didn't want to hear her complaining. "Actually...yeah. Can you get the ibuprofen from the medicine cabinet? And a bottle of water?"

He didn't respond, but Alana heard footsteps walking away. So, he either got grossed out and went to tell Anastasia, or he went to get what she asked for. She didn't care who got the medicine, as long as it was in her possession soon.

About a minute or so later, there was a light knock on the door before it was being opened. Dylan walked in hesitantly, like he wasn't sure if Alana would want to see him. He handed her the two bottles.

"Thanks." She grunted as she sat up just enough to swallow the pills with some water.

Once she successfully took the medicine, Dylan took the ibuprofen bottle, so he could put it back on the shelf in the medicine cabinet.

He started to leave but hesitated. "If you need anything else..." he trailed off.

Alana gave a slight nod in acknowledgement.

He said quietly, "Yeah, okay," and left her bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

Aw, man, Alana thought, that was kind of cute. And she immediately blamed her hormones and her period for that thought. She was just extra emotional. Really, it's not a big deal.

Then, she started trying to justify it. It's not a big deal or anything. A lot of things are cute. It wasn't even him specifically. The situation was just kind of awkward, and it was just his reaction to it.

She could try to explain it away all she wanted but at the end of the day, Alana was a little bit doomed.

She sighed heavily. If anyone heard her, well, she assumed they would think it was because of the cramps.