11 - Awkward Encounters

"So," Alana started uncertainly after another photography club meeting. "I heard you and Ana broke up."

A few days after Anastasia and Alana's conversation, Ana and Dylan spoke about their relationship. Later that same night, Ana told Alana what happened.

In the end, the two of them mutually decided to break up. Both felt that it wasn't really going anywhere. There was no arguing or crying or hatefulness. It was a decision they made together, and they agreed to remain friends. Obviously, they wouldn't be hanging out nearly as often outside of school. They figured a bit of space would probably be good.

"Yeah, what about it?" He replied flatly.

She shrugged, feeling bad for bringing it up. They may have ended things on good terms, but a breakup is a breakup. There's probably at least a little bit of pain. "I'm sorry things didn't work out with you two."

"Oh," he seemed surprised by the apology and rubbed the back of his neck. "Uh, thanks, I guess. I'm sure you know it was a mutual decision, though."

"So I've heard. It's still a change and something to adjust to, though," she said sympathetically.

"Well, don't worry too much about me, Lani." He smirked half-heartedly. "It's for the best, really."

Alana nodded. "If you ever want or need to talk about it..." she trailed off, feeling awkward.

"Thanks, but I don't know how much I should say about my ex-girlfriend to her sister," he joked to lighten the mood.

"Then, you're free to talk about anything else that isn't her," Alana didn't notice how flirty that sounded until she said it out loud. She felt her face flush lightly at the thought and mentally scolded herself for turning pink as if she had any control over it.

He chuckled. "I might actually take you up on that one. Someone's gotta correct my photography opinions," his words brought Alana back to the present. She almost forgot that they were still in the classroom they met in for the club and that some of its members were also still lingering, having their own conversations. She hoped no one overheard theirs and started thinking things.

"It's easy to do that when they're so very wrong."

"Because you're the professional photographer here."

"You said it, not me."

"Y'all need to get a room," Brandon, another member of the club, said as he passed the two during their banter.

Dylan and Alana blushed and went back to their awkwardness from before.

"I-uh, I should probably..." Alana pointed her thumb toward the door.

"Uh, yeah. Of course. See you..." Dylan responded, just as unsure.

"Right." Alana walked toward the door, stumbled a little trying to open it, and left. As soon as she was out of sight, she facepalmed loudly, mumbling, "Ow."

She had a lot of mixed emotions at that moment and didn't know how to react to any of them. So, she rushed to her car and blasted whatever music was on the radio in an attempt to drown out her thoughts of anything and everything Dylan. Now was not the time for going down that road.