Realization

»»-----¤-----««Estelle's Pov»»-----¤-----««

I realize that this is going to be more complicated than I had anticipated. I stare at my sister and Mallory in the living room. Kirsi sat down on the couch across from Mallory, with only me and the livingroom table keeping them apart. The tension was palpable. Kirsi looked as if she wanted to get up and lunge at Fedorov, while Mallory seemed almost too eerily calm, as if she expected this situation. I take a deep breath and say the only thing I can think of.

"Kirsi, it's a very long story as to why she's here." I explain. "But right now I really need your help in treating her wound, the one on the side of her lower stomach more specifically." I sigh.

"Absolutely not." she refuses crossing her arms in front of her.

"Kirsi! You told me I could rely on you whenever I needed help!" I state.

"I ment help for yourself Elle! Not this .. person." she retorts in disgust and pure hostility. I sigh deeply in frustration and glare at my sister.

"Kirsi, I promise I will explain everything to you later. But right now I really need your help. Isn't rule one in the medical field to always treat any patient fairly? No matter if it's just a regular person or a killer." I squint my eyes, noticing that my words have startled her. To be honest I am baffled myself as well. Why am I defending Fedorov? Kirsi takes a few moments to think before she finally agrees.

"Fine, where's your medical supply cabinet?" she asks.

"In the bathroom, top shelf," I reply and watch her get up to go fetch the medical supplies. Once she returns and put everything on the little table, she sighs and gives Fedorov one last glare.

"Okay, show me the wound."

Fedorov arches her brow, not budging an inch. Her body language suggests she is about to make a snide remark, but I intervene.

"Shift your lower abdomen to the side," I suggest, my eyes meeting hers. She seems to soften her gaze slightly as we lock eyes before she complies and slightly shifts on the couch.

Am I hallucinating or did she just..

I shake off the odd feeling and motion Kirsi to move closer. She crouches down, observing the wound closely before she looks up at me.

"It's a deep cut and it needs stitches," she says as she reaches out for one of the supplies on the table bedside her. I nod in agreement as I start measuring out a large bandage for her.

Kirsi turns to Fedorov, asking "What happened?". But they say nothing. Why won't they tell her, after having told me so quickly?

Does she trust me in her own twisted way?

I clear my throat and immediately step forward with the bandage.

"She had an accident in her business," I say. Technically, I'm not lying but yet I still am. Kirsi takes the bandage from me, nodding to signify her understanding. She gets to work on Fedorov's wound, carefully and meticulously tending to it with a gentle attention that I wouldn't have expected from her. The room grows silent as they focus on the task in hand. Fedorov groans here and there as Kirsi stitches her wound without any sedative, but she works quickly and swiftly.

Kirsi speaks up, standing to hand me the supplies. "There we go," she says. "Don't do anything hasty for two weeks if you want it to heal fast," she adds with a warning look. She turns to me and gestures her head in the direction of the kitchen.

"I'll be right back." I announce to Mallory before I follow Kirsi to the kitchen.

"Elle, you have some explaining to do." my sister glares.