Chapter 5: Queen Pandora

~Scott~

A hollow thud echoed from where my knuckles made contact with the whitewashed door leading into Phoenix's bedroom.

"Dè?" My sister's voice was muffled, but I could hear a shifting and ruffling of papers from inside.

(What?)

"It's— 'S e mise." I said, resting my hand on the doorknob before beginning to turn it. It was unlocked.

(It's me.)

"Oh—" Phoenix exclaimed as I pushed the door open. She was laying on her stomach across her bed, the pale blue sheets tucked beneath the mattress but slightly shifted and crumpled from her weight sprawled across. Her golden-rimmed glasses had slipped down her lightly freckled nose the slightest, a few curly strands of deep brown tucked behind her ears. My eyes were drawn to the notebook and quill in her hands, her miniature pot of ink placed dangerously beside her, threatening to tip. "Hi."

I blinked, not sure what I was expecting. It was only after I had stepped all the way inside, letting the door swing shut behind me, when I noticed the other in the room. The boy from earlier, Orlo was it? I had almost completely missed them.

He was sat on the floor, just off the carpet, legs tucked to his chest and notebook balanced on his knees. His unruly hair still interested me, curling up at the base of his hairline, his bangs brushing the bridge of their nose.

Orlo waved as my eyes landed on him, the piercing amber meeting my gaze. However, he had tensed as soon as I turned towards them, his ears drooping even further. "Hi..." They repeated after Phoenix, voice still shrill and scratchy and lacking the strong accent I was used to hearing around here. Strange...

"Uh..." I exclaimed, trying to get back on track and remember the reason I had come here in the first place. "Phoe— the meeting. It starts in half an hour; you should get out of your school clothes." I reminded.

"Oh! Right—" She said, eyes widening as she shoved herself into a sitting position. She fumbled her notebook, glancing to Orlo. "The project eh— we will have to finish that tomorrow—"

"That's fine." The small boy shrugged, speaking in a mumble. They closed their own books, sticking their ink-stained quill into his hoodie pocket. From what I gathered it seemed he had been reaching over and stealing Phoenix's ink before I had come in.

"Sorry about that— my head has been all over the place today." She said with a small laugh, hopping off her mattress and... walking over to the window?

I watched her drop her things onto the dresser opposite the room from her bed, flicking open the lock on the window. I stood still as Orlo piled his books and folders back into the beat-up black backpack he had carried inside originally, following my sister while she began to open up the window.

The boy crawled onto the windowsill, giving me a nervous glance before smiling at Phoenix. "See you tomorrow!" 

"Yep. I am so excited for the history test." Phoenix replied sarcastically, returning the smile as Orlo clambered onto the roof, reminding me forcefully of someone...

Once Orlo was out of sight, Phoenix shut the window, relocking it and brushing her hands off on the corduroy pants she wore.

I had remained silent the entirety of the time, when finally, my sister looked back at me. Her lips pursed. "You won't tell anyone...will you?" 

I instantly shook my head. "Of course, not—" I bit back the part about how hypocritical it would have been if I did tell, instead chewing on my lower lip.