The Moon

That evening, after the late summer sun had finally set, Nezuko emerged from the Butterfly Estate. She sat happily on the wooden back step, her hands toying with the silk hem of her kimono. Nezuko was ready for bed; her hair ribbon was taken out, her brown haori was left in her room, and her nighttime sandals and toe socks were on. The moon was rising slowly as she awaited Kanao.

The door howled as Kanao opened it, stepping into the fresh night air. Kanao wore not her uniform but a Butterfly Mansion patient recovery uniform, something she usually wore to bed each night for its comfort. Kanao, surprisingly, did not have her hair in her regular ponytail. Instead, it was brushed out and left loose. Kanao yawned gently before bowing to Nezuko and sitting down almost a foot away from her. 

The two watched the moon in silence; it was low in the sky as the night was young, but it was rapidly gaining speed. The night was cloudless and thousands of stars stippled the sky. "Mm..." Nezuko wanted to thank Kanao, but knew her words wouldn't be legible. 

"It's a pleasure..." To her surprise, Kanao seemed to understand her thoughts. "The moon is lovely tonight." Kanao's stunning purple eyes were turned to face the moon, reflecting the full light of the heavenly body. Kanao's smile seemed sincere as she admired the night. She turned to look at Nezuko in the eyes.

Nezuko's eyebrows lifted in shock; how could she look so beautiful? So beautiful and she's looking at me now. Nezuko smiled back beneath the muzzle, admiring the ravishing looks of the slayer sitting before her. 

"Mmn." Nezuko closed her eyes and nodded happily at Kanao in agreement. But, Nezuko's mind whispered, the moon isn't the only lovely thing tonight.

The two sat in silence for what felt like millennia, what was actually around a half-hour. 

Kanao lifted her hand to her mouth and yawned once more. Nezuko hummed for her to go sleep for the night, and Kanao seemed to understand her nonsense noises perfectly. "Even if for a short time, I'm glad you invited me out here. Thank you, Nezuko." 

Nezuko melted. Kanao said her name. Her name. Nezuko. Her name on Kanao's tongue sounded beautiful; her soft, angelic voice whispering her very own name. Nezuko committed the sound to memory while Kanao reentered the mansion for the night. 

Nezuko looked up at the moon once more before she would go to bed and thought, No, thank you for being near me, Kanao.