Words

The two sat in silence for a few moments and Nezuko was bright red. She wanted to do this- she really did, but she was scared. Nezuko thought back to everything else: Kanao's kindness, wanting to offer her food, sitting in the moonlight together, cleaning the mansion together and holding Nezuko in her arms, keeping the flower when they picked blossoms, letting her stay in her bed, how warm and soft it was to be close to her... 

Nezuko knew she had to do it. She reached her fingers to her bamboo muzzle and lowered it out of her mouth. Kanao looked over and gasped in shock. 

"Nezuko, I'm not sure..." Kanao trailed off when Nezuko turned to her.

With her fangs bared, a smile on her face, her eyes wide, Nezuko attempted to speak. "I..."

Kanao watched in anticipation and shock.

"I..." Nezuko's words were strange and almost incomprehensible to Kanao. "I... Love... You." Nezuko was bright red, but expressed the words. 

The words were difficult to decipher for Kanao. She didn't know exactly what Nezuko had said. Her vowels were drawled and her consonants were weak. 

"The..." Kanao looked up, past the shaded awning, to the glimpse of the moon that could be seen during the daytime. "The moon- It does look lovely." 

Nezuko faltered, but tried again. "I... Love you." 

Once again, Kanao was troubled with what Nezuko was trying to tell her. It sounded the same as last time; did Kanao just hear it wrong? She tried again. "You... like the dew?" Kanao looked at the dew on the ground, left there from the misty morning and the rain that recently blanketed the mansion. 

Nezuko was getting disappointed. The rush of trying to say it the first time had left her, and she didn't feel like her words would be special, but she still tried again. For Kanao. "I. Love. You." She insisted.

"The view?" Kanao was still not understanding. By the look in her eyes, she really was trying, but just didn't understand Nezuko's words. 

Nezuko's heart fell. She put the muzzle back on and walked away, upset. Kanao watched her leave, wanted to do something, but felt bad and didn't stop her. Kanao looked at the ground between her feet with a sigh. 'And when you fall in love, you'll change too, Kanao.'  The late master Kanae's words echoed in her ears. Her gentle voice, telling Kanao that love changes a person. Nezuko... spoke... she spoke to me. Kanao thought. Does she also feel... like this?

Kanao didn't know. She was confused and got up to go do some chores- maybe that would lift her spirits. 

Meanwhile with Nezuko, she was sitting in her box while Tanjiro played with Sumi, Kiyo, and Naho. She was mad at herself for not being able to say those words. She was disappointed Kanao couldn't understand her. She was embarrassed. 

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, but it was pretty important! I've been putting a lot of thought into this story and can't wait to finish it. Thank you all SO much for your support!