Sixteen: Two Doughnuts and One Civilized Conversation, Please

A very special guest star this chapter! Let me know if you figure out who it is :)

Also, doing everything in my power to hold back from posting two chapters today. But this story just hit 2k. So, how can I not?

●・○・♥︎・○・●

Tatum expected a lot out of her situation with Brady.

Frustration.

Arguments.

A lack of progress.

But she didn't expect to be grateful for him.

Tatum never thought he would care enough about her to do this. To save her on her date from hell. To try and cheer her up. And his latest move? Paying for the entire meal so that she wouldn't have to.

She didn't expect any of this from him.

Brady had refused to eat the risotto that Nick ordered, claiming that it wasn't "real food". Tatum insisted they split her own, which was just a turkey club. He allowed her to give him half, accepting some of the fries too. The conversation was surprisingly enjoyable. She was pretty sure that Brady was being especially kind to her considering what dealt with earlier.

But the half-sized portion wasn't exactly filling either of them. Brady insisted they get dessert elsewhere, claiming to know a specific spot that he frequented. He settled the check and they headed out. Brady stepped in front of her briefly to hold the door open for her. Tatum tried to hide her surprise as she stepped through the door, giving him a small smile as thanks.

"I know it's around this area," Brady muttered to himself, glancing at store fronts with knitted eyebrows.

Tatum wasn't so sure. It was fairly late by this point in the night. She wasn't certain how late bakeries stayed open. But it was the city, so there was a chance. She glanced at a couple of bakeries they passed. "What if we just went to one of these? I mean, a cupcake's a cupcake, right?"

"Wait, I think it's just up here," Brady swore, ushering her down an alleyway. "Best doughnut I've ever had, seriously."

"Okay," Tatum said with a drawl, allowing him to drag her with him.

The bakery looked closed, much to both of their dismay. It was a glass store front with various fake flowers outlining the unit. There was a large 'open' sign on the front of it; however, it was turned off. A girl in a light purple apron was exiting through the door, her dark curly hair wound tightly on top of her head in a bun. Keys jangled in her hand as she sorted through them. Her light brown skin was covered in flour and frosting. The two of them hurried to the bakery, hoping to catch the girl before she left.

"Hey, you still open?" Brady asked the girl who was already out the door.

She gave him a quizzical look, smirking slightly as if amused. "Do we look still open?"

"Well... no," Brady conceded after a beat and the girl laughed.

She stared at them both for a moment carefully, her eyes flickering back and forth between them. "What are your names?"

Tatum spoke up, saying, "I'm Tatum. That's Brady."

Her eyebrows flicked up. "Wait, Brady Parker?"

Brady narrowed his eyes. "Maybe. Who's asking?"

"My family watches your games," the girl added assuringly. "And my brothers would kill me if I didn't let you in."

"So..." Tatum trailed off hopefully, giving her an innocent smile.