The Honeymoon Period

Natasha considered herself adaptable for someone who didn't like change. After all, she had adjusted to her new school pretty quickly. She wasn't complaining. Her parents were back and her father started his job with the LA Kings. He worked at 5 in the morning, running with the goalies before the sun was up. By the time he was home, all he wanted to do was read progress reports, game notes, and just sleep. Her mother, a nurse, started her rotation at the hospital, working night shifts on weekdays, providing Nat and Nate with plenty of freedom.

Natasha spent most of her time with the girls at the mall and the beach. She even began taking surfing lessons.

Let the so cal life begin.

Cassidy gifted Natasha a surfboard for her birthday in February.

"You know I almost drowned when I was three," Natasha said, as she looked out onto the ocean.

It was a cloudy day, the waves were high.

Natasha had decided to try out her new board with Cassidy, who was a surfer and a lifeguard himself.

Cassidy, who was mesmerized by the waves, turned his attention to her, "Are you still scared?"

"Always a little," Natasha answered, giving Cassidy a small smile.

"It's okay," Cassidy said, wrapping her into a hug, "I won't let anything happen to you."

Valentine's Day came and went. Natasha spent the day with Cassidy.

Knowing that Natasha's brother was a hockey player and that her father was a goaltender consultant, Cassidy bought Natasha to the skating rink.

"Oh," she said when he took off her blindfold.

"What's wrong?" Cassidy asked.

Natasha shook her head.

"You know how to skate right?"

Natasha shrugged.

Cassidy took her hand, "What's wrong?" He asked gently.

"I hate skating rinks," she said, shutting her eyes.

"I'm sorry," Cassidy said, hugging her.

He led her back to the car, feeling like an idiot. He should have asked.

"I'm sorry," Natasha said.

"What?" Cassidy asked, surprised.

"I'm ruining Valentine's Day, aren't I?"

"No," Cassidy said, "it's my fault. I didn't know."

Natasha took a deep breath.

"I'm listening," Cassidy said softly, prompting her.

"When I was seven, we went skating. We even met the Florida Panthers," Natasha laughed, "and I don't remember what happened, the ice was not right for some reason, I slipped and fell awkwardly, I think I feel through. I broke my leg or something. I tore a knee ligament. Ever since, I'm scared of going on the ice. I was traumatized."

"I'm so sorry," Cassidy said, kissing the top of her head, "I just assumed you'd be a skater since your family..."

"Yeah. It's ironic because of my dad and brothers... but I never got into skating."

Cassidy smiled apologetically.

"I'm sorry. I'm so problematic. I can't be in water. I can't be on ice."

"No you're not! It's okay," Cassidy said tenderly, "we can do something else."

Natasha shrugged.

"Tell me what you want to do."

"Actually," Natasha said, looking up at Cassidy shyly, "maybe we can try."

"What do you mean?"

"Hey, you can help me get over my fear."

"I'm scared of icicles," Cassidy said.

"You are?"

"I'm scared of being killed by one."

"There aren't any icicles in the rink," Natasha said, smiling, "and if there is, I'll make sure they won't hit you."

"But what if I drop you?" Cassidy asked, his eyes widening.

"You won't," Natasha smiled, hopping out of the car.

"Are you sure about that?" Cassidy joked, grinning.

"Oh, I'll make sure you won't."

Cassidy laughed and grabbed Natasha's hand as they walked back to the arena.

Cassidy bought her a new camera at the end of February.

She needed one for photography class; and he had bought her one.

Wow, Natasha thought, he was being way too generous with her.

Natasha zoomed in with the camera; she tugged on Cassidy's sleeve.

"Hey, smile," she said, smiling at the camera.

Cassidy looked up from his screen. He scrunched up his nose and Natasha snapped the picture.

"One more," Natasha said, smiling again.

Cassidy turned his face away from the camera to kiss Natasha's cheek.

Natasha immediately returned the kiss to Cassidy after she'd taken the picture.

"What are you thinking about?" She asked.

"Nothing."

Natasha snuggled closer to Cassidy. She put the camera down and wrapped her arms around his solid bicep; the arm with the scar.

"Will you go to junior prom with me?" Cassidy asked out of nowhere.

It was three months away.

"Of course," she said.

"Looking forward to it," Cassidy said happily, kissing her nose.