Spring Break Part I

Turns out Mr. Morrison was a lot more lenient than Mrs. Morrison. He immediately said yes to Natasha's request - on a few conditions. She would call every night; Nathaniel would have to be with her wherever she was to go; and no boys in the motel room. She'd have to share a room with Nathaniel.

Sure.

Natasha already knew she was going to break the third rule.

On Saturday morning, five cars with twenty teenagers left for Mexico.

Natasha wondered if Cassidy was meant what he said about their relationship as he slept beside her.

She shifted uncomfortably in Cassidy's embrace.

Natasha stole a glance at Shay and Luke, who was driving the truck. They were murmuring over a map of California. Natasha doubted they were talking about directions. At least they wouldn't be distracted if she were to ask Cassidy where she stood. He was right. She was getting bored of the dates they were going out on. Movies, dinners, the beach, picnics; they were all pretty dull things to be doing. It was becoming a routine. Natasha felt sick to stomach as she continued to wonder. She was falling for this guy. Worst of all, what if Cassidy wanted to move to the next level? She was definitely not ready.

As usual, it was Trix who did the complaining.

"I hate this trashy motel," she said the moment they entered.

"It's like trailer park trash," Riley, a senior, agreed as she passed by.

"I hate these beds," Trix complained again.

"Trix, seriously," Cassidy said.

"Hey, who's staying with me?" She asked.

Cassidy looked at Natasha, who shrugged.

Trix and Alex had decided to take break prior to Spring Break. He came along on the trip, but he was staying with the seniors.

Trix stuck her head outside the door, "Hey Chase? Chase, want to room with me?"

Trix came back into the room, dumping her last bag on the bed.

"Chase is staying with me," she announced mournfully.

"Why don't you and Alex just get back together?" Cassidy asked in an irritated voice.

"He messed up. I'm not forgiving him," Trix said coolly.

"Cassidy, let it go," Natasha warned.

"Sorry," Cassidy said, giving Natasha one of his heart melting glances.

As soon as the group had unloaded, they headed to a bar to relax. The moment they entered, Cassidy disappeared. Natasha sighed and hung by the tables with one of her brother's friends. Her brother, himself, was busy making out with another senior who had come along, Bridget.

"Where's your boyfriend?" Kester asked.

"He's not my boyfriend and I don't know," Natasha said, shrugging.

"You know," Kester said, "Kingston's the type of guy you might want to keep an eye on."

"I've heard," Natasha said, shrugging again, "I don't know. Not in the mood."

"To party?"

Natasha nodded.

"Same goes. I rather have a chill night in."

"Finally someone who agrees," Natasha joked.

"Coming from the girl whose brother is infamous for throwing parties."

"Nathaniel and I are so different," Natasha said.

Natasha looked away from Kester and into the crowd, where lights were flashing manically.

"I can't believe you were right," she said to whoever was listening.

"What?" Kester asked.

Dead center under the cheap disco ball, Cassidy was cozying up with another girl.

"Whoa," Kester said, shielding Natasha from the crazy crowd, "Nat, back up. Don't run in there and cause a scene."

Natasha rolled her eyes at Kester, but he didn't see it.

"Well, this was going to happen eventually," she said.

"You two aren't exclusive," Kester pointed out.

"Whatever, I'm not his babysitter," Natasha said bitterly.

"Wanna get outta here?" Kester asked.

"Oh, I'm leaving - just not with you, Kess."

Kester watched as Natasha made her way to the exit. He wondered if he should let Nathaniel know his sister just bailed.

Natasha burst out from the sweaty bar into a hot, humid night. A slight breeze swept by as she made her way down the street.

Natasha wished she knew which way it was to the hotel.

She walked to a brick building and leaned against the wall.

Natasha watched as the busy people around her rushed to their next destination.

"Jesus! Natasha!"

A hand grabbed her arm and spun her around.

Natasha was disappointed to see it was her brother.

"Do you know how much shit I'd get into if anything was to happen to you?"

"Leave me alone," she mumbled.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I want to go back to the motel."

"Did Kingston do something?" Nathaniel answered his own question, "Of course he did. I'm gonna kill that little shit."

"No," Natasha exclaimed, "I'm tired of the overprotective big brother thing. Don't go starting anything. You're just gonna get in more trouble."

"Don't lie to me Nat," Nathaniel said, "if he's in there, making out with another girl, he's getting it."

"He's not doing anything," Natasha said tugging her brother's shirt, "can we go? Please?"

Nathaniel reluctantly turned away from the entrance of the bar. He slung his arm over his sister and ruffled her hair.

"It's Mexico, kiddo. Why can't you party like the rest of us?"

Without saying another word, he walked her back to the motel.