Spring Break Plans

It wasn't before long that Spring Break was around the corner.

Cassidy had a brilliant plan for them to go to Tijuana.

"I don't think my parents would let me," Natasha confessed.

"Just lie," Cassidy said, "tell them you're just going to Diego or something."

"I can't go anywhere unless Nathaniel goes."

"Invite Nate!" Tessa said a little too quickly.

"No, no, I don't want him coming," Brandon said.

"Oh my God, Brandon, it's not like any of us are interested in him," Tessa said.

Brandon raised his eyebrow, "Oh really?"

"We should go to Cabo," Trix suggested.

"It's the same as Laguna, and it's too far," Shay said.

"TJ is tradition," Tessa added.

"Just invite Nate," Luke said, "tell him to bring his girl."

"He might have his own plans," Natasha said.

"Find out," Tessa encouraged.

Natasha bounced up from Cassidy's hold, "I'll be right back."

She ran up the stairs to look for her brother.

"Nathaniel?"

A grunt came from Nathaniel's room. Natasha pushed the door open gingerly, hoping she wouldn't find him with a girl.

Nathaniel was doing sit ups on the floor, shirtless and sweaty.

"Why are you always pumping up?" she asked.

Nathaniel plopped back down on the carpet, "What do you want?"

"Where are you going for spring break?" Natasha asked, sitting on his bed.

"Unsure, why?"

"We're just talking about it."

"Bunch of my friends want to go to TJ, but..."

"Could be a problem with Mom, eh?"

"Could be."

"Who are we kidding? She'll definitely say no."

"Not if you ask. You're the good kid."

Natasha gave her brother a look.

"No seriously," Nathaniel said, starting to do push-ups again, "you should ask and see what she says."

"I wish Andrew was still here," Natasha sighed, "he'd be able to get mom to say yes."

Unfortunately, Andrew left during the last week of March.

"Did you know," Nathaniel did a push up, "he has a girl-" pushup, "back in MI?"

"He never told me!"

"Yeah-" pushup "-that's why he left-" pushup "-sooner than he-" push up "intended to."

"Oh," Natasha said, "okay, whatever. I'll go ask mom when she gets home."

Natasha went back downstairs to the basement. As she opened the door, she heard her name being mentioned.

"So, three months, man," she heard a voice say, "that's a pretty long time."

"Yeah," Cassidy answered.

"Are you still down?"

"Yeah," Cassidy said again, "we've become one of those couples who go out every weekend, do the same things. Boring."

"We do that!" She heard Tessa say.

"You know me," Cassidy said in the distance, "I don't usually do that."

"Are we boring?" She heard Tessa ask.

"No, babe, we're good," Brandon replied.

"Sweetie?"

Natasha jumped.

"Mom," she said, "you scared the shit out of me."

"What are you doing?"

"Eavesdropping," Natasha said moving away from the door.

"You shouldn't be eavesdropping on your own friends," her mother said, unloading the groceries.

Natasha grabbed a bag from the chair and handed it to her mother. Maybe now would be a good time.

"Hey mom," she began.

"Yes?"

"You know it's Spring Break next week..."

"Yes, I do."

"I was wondering if Nathaniel and I could you know, go away for a few days with our friends."

"With your boyfriend?"

"Um, well, just a guy I'm hanging out with," Natasha corrected, "yes, he'll be coming."

"I don't know if I trust him yet, Nat."

"Why?" Natasha asked dumbfounded, "He came over for dinner."

"You've known these people for three months."

"Nathaniel is going too. He'll look out for me...not that I can't do that for myself," Natasha said, "and even if you don't trust him. You trust me not to do anything inappropriate."

Natasha's mom stopped stocking the fridge.

"Please mom?"

"Where?"

"Um," Natasha said, looking away, "Mexico?"

"Mexico! Oh no, Mexico is not a good place to go. Do you know how crazy it is over there?"

"Mom! That's the point."

"No."

"What would change your mind?" Natasha asked.

"I'm not sure," her mother answered, "I feel very strongly against that."

"Come on, you wanted us to move and make new friends. Daddy's move was hard on me and Nate," Natasha tried.

"Careful, Natasha. Don't use that against us."

"Please mom! It's the experience of a lifetime. I'll never have a Spring Break when I'm 17 again!"

"I don't want you two getting into trouble or getting kidnapped by the cartel, Natasha."

"That won't happen!"

"You can predict the future?"

"We're smart kids. We'll stay in busy tourist areas. It won't happen to us."

Mrs. Morrison gave Natasha a look again.

Natasha offered her a weak smile.

"We'll talk about this tonight, when your father is home."

Natasha nodded grudgingly and turned to the basement door. She opened the door loudly so her friends would know she was coming downstairs.

"Hey," she said, sitting back down next to Cassidy, "what did I miss?"