DJ Part 2

CHAPTER 2

On Sunday morning D.J. woke up early enough. She hadn't been able to sleep much because she was full of adrenaline from the beautiful evening spent with Buck and his friends. She stayed a while in bed reading, then got up, had breakfast and got dressed. She then went outside the house to see how to organize the work. She was considering what to start with when she saw someone approaching on horseback in the distance. As the rider approached, she realized, with amazement and delight at the same time, that it was Buck.

"Hello, what a surprise!", said D.J.

"Hello, I didn't know if you was already awake or not, but I wanted to take the risk".

"Why here?", she asked him.

"You're not really going to think I'll let you fix this by yourself, you would never make it. Come on, tell me where you want to start and let's get busy ".

"Are you sure you want to spend Sunday working hard with a stranger?".

"You're not that unknown, by now I know a little bit about you, I'll take the risk and then work doesn't scare me. So, where do we start? ".

D.J. was very happy, she would never have expected to see him again so soon and above all she did not hope that someone would help her with the work.

Buck had not been able to sleep much and had thought that the only way to dispel his doubts about that strange girl was to hang out with her for a while and then his heart would cry to think about all the work she would have to face alone. He had gotten up early, hadn't said anything to anyone, had taken a ride to the river so as not to arrive too early, and then went to her.

"I guess maybe we should take care of the fences and the balcony first, before anyone gets hurt", she told him.

Buck agreed and they began to work. He stared at the balcony and fence boards and as soon as he finished the job, she painted the parts already fixed. It was a great team effort.

They didn't talk much, every now and then they made a few jokes and discussed this and that but they were studying each other.

When lunch time came, D.J. told Buck she would come into the house and prepare something.

"Don't cook a lot, even a simple sandwich is enough", he told her.

"Absolutely not, you were so nice to come and help me and I'm not going to starve you, even if I'm not a good cook at all, I don't really like cooking, I'm sorry. It is one of my many flaws. I prefer to knit and embroider "and ran into the house.

She was so happy that even the act of cooking she hated was pleasant for her. She cooked a quick plate of meat with potatoes that she had already prepared the day before and when it was ready she called Buck.

He timidly entered and looked around, amazed at how neat and well furnished the house was.

"You seem to have lived here for a long time, it is a very welcoming and warm house, congratulations. You told me you like to embroider, so you made the curtains yourself? "

"Yes, I don't have much to do in the evenings when I'm not writing and so I dedicated myself to these jobs. You were kind enough to notice it ".

"You are very good".

"Come on, don't stand there, take a seat. I have not prepared much but it will be enough to make us regain our strength a bit ".

"Thanks, it will be fine."

"Thanks to you for being here".

They smiled at each other and began to have lunch. She still told him some episodes and anecdotes of her life in Italy and he had a lot of fun hearing how rebellious and original she was, but he preferred not to tell much about himself, he still couldn't let himself go completely.