DJ Part 4

CHAPTER 4

Rachel met Buck when he returned from his run. "Good evening Buck, was everything okay?"

"As usual, thanks", he replied politely but distantly.

"Can you come in the house to me please? I have to show you something "

"Agree. I'll fix the horse and I'll join you "

"Fine, I will wait for you"

Buck did not really want to go to Rachel because he feared she would still go on the attack with the story of D.J., but he didn't want to oppose her, on the other hand she had nothing to do with it.

He arranged the horse, washed his face in the basin of water and then went to the woman's house and knocked.

"Come on Buck, come in."

"What do you have to show me?"

"Sit down Buck. I want to let you read something "

"What's this?"

"The article by D.J. She brought it to us this morning. Read it, please "

"Still with this story, Rachel? I already told you that I don't want to know anymore, please leave me alone "

"It costs you nothing to read it and you will realize that you were wrong"

Buck got up, dropping his chair: "I don't want to read it, I don't care" and left slamming the door

"Buck!" Rachel called back but he was already headed for the bunkhouse.

"Big head, you'll have to realize you're wrong!", she yelled after him.

At dinner, no one mentioned D.J. and the article, but everyone anxiously awaited the next day to read the published article.

The next morning, Jesse was assigned to go to Tompkins to buy the paper. When he returned, he entered the bunkhouse like a fury and said: "There's nothing here, they haven't published it."

"Let me see", Jimmy said, snatching the newspaper from his hands. He placed it on the table and everyone, except Buck who was in the stable, wanting to be alone, leafed through the newspaper: from the article by D.J. there was no trace.

Rachel dropped into her chair and exclaimed: "What a mess! Evidently Stevenson wanted a junk article along the lines of Marcus' novel and when he saw that D.J. had a historical cut, he has thrown away. I have to go to her, I'm afraid he asked her to rewrite it and she refused. If so, she lost her job and I wouldn't want she to do anything nonsense ".

"I'm going with you", Lou said.

"No, I better go alone. Do me a favor Lou, if I'll be late, you make lunch for the kids. "

"Okay", the girl agreed.

Rachel rushed out to get the gig and sped off to D.J.

Buck saw her leave in a hurry and went into the bunkhouse to ask what had happened.

"She's going to D.J. Mr. Stevenson hasn't published her article and Rachel fears she's been fired. Read it Buck and you'll see you've misjudged her ", Lou said.

Buck said nothing, went out and fetched his horse. He needed to take a ride. As he headed he didn't know where, he thought about everything that was going on. Was he perhaps wrong about D.J. and were Rachel and the boys right? It was odd indeed that Mr. Stevenson hadn't published the article. He didn't know what to think, he just needed to be alone.

Rachel reached D.J. She knocked and heard no answer. Worried, she decided to enter.

"Permission, is there anyone? D.J., I'm Rachel, can I come in? ".