DJ Part 8

D.J. chapter 8

"What's going on Buck? Talk to me! "said D.J. worried.

He looked at her still stunned by the news and then said: "My brother is dead, they are celebrating his funeral, a Sioux ambush"

D.J. was speechless but immediately realized that she had to react to support Buck and said: "Oh my God darling, I'm so sorry" and hugged him tightly.

Buck recovered and asked the Kiowa warrior if they could attend his brother's funeral and the man agreed.

When they entered the camp, everyone turned to look at them and someone was about to intervene, but the warrior who had welcomed them signaled that everything was fine and the two were escorted to the place of the ceremony. Buck was shattered and warm tears began to gush from his eyes. D.J. squeezed his arm tightly to make him feel she was at his side. She knew Buck felt terribly guilty for not having ties with his brother in the last few months and if it wasn't for her, they wouldn't be there now.

At the conclusion of the ceremony, the two boys were accompanied by the man who, while awaiting the election of the new boss, took the place of the Red Bear. He made D.J. and Buck in his tepee and explained to them how things had gone. Buck immediately translated the man's words to D.J. not to exclude her. Buck stiffened when he learned the dynamics of what happened and asked what they were going to do now. The man explained that, as the warrior had told him earlier, the killing had been avenged, but the Kiowa had no intention of declaring war on the Sioux because the one against Red Bear had been an occasional ambush and they did not want to unleash a long and bloody war with the Sioux tribe, a war that would have shed much blood among their people. Buck agreed even if in anger.

The deputy chief, after a moment of silence, turned to Buck saying: "Brother, before he died Red Bear spoke your name, he loved you very much despite your distance. For this reason, after having held a council yesterday, we would have come to look for you to inform you of the incident and to propose to take your brother's place in the tribe, we would like you to be the new leader. We know that you have been living among whites for a long time and that you have a job as a pony express, but we seem to interpret your brother's will by offering you this assignment and responsibility. You could choose a Kiowa bride and move to live among us as our guide.

Buck was speechless and his face went white. D.J. noticed it and immediately asked him what the man had said. Buck looked at her dazed, as if he were living in another world, but then, faced with her insistence, he returned to reality and explained the proposal he had received. D.J. felt a pang in her heart: if Buck had accepted to honor his brother's memory, she would have lost him forever. Her eyes filled with tears and she said nothing. Buck saw and understood her reaction and tried to calm her by shaking her hand, but he could not say anything to her. Instead he turned to the man and said: "I am truly honored by the proposal you make to me, but I cannot give an answer now, I need to carefully evaluate the situation. The only thing I can tell you right away is that I will not marry a Kiowa. This woman and I came here today to ask my brother to marry us according to our rite, because in June we will marry according to the Catholic rite. Even if I accept to be your boss, she will be my partner and this is not a topic for discussion ".

The boss looked at him intently and replied: "I don't think our people will ever accept having a white woman as their boss's wife"

"If these are the conditions, then my answer is no".

"Would you go against your brother's will?"

"We are not sure if this was his will, moreover my brother did not know about my relationship with this woman and if he had known and had known her, he would have approved. It is up to you to decide before I make a decision on the matter myself. "