The Showcase

Regulus is dancing in a showcase, and pain sparks up his calf. What happens when he can't push through it?

Regulus loved dancing. He was raised a ballet dancer by his mother, but he ended up trying different styles after moving out with his brother. He ended up joining a highly known professional dance studio. He was thriving. He gave his all in every class. His efforts weren't for nothing, as he was constantly picked out to demonstrate things, or for special roles in the dances. It was going on his second year at the studio, and he couldn't be happier.

Well he could be, his brother stopped dancing last year. He couldn't blame his brother for it because he knew how hard Sirius was on himself about it, but he still wished Sirius was by his side.

This month they are learning a contemporary piece, and they will be performing it for many different high schools. He was ecstatic about it. He couldn't wait to get on the stage again. He loved the dance, and he had a turning section. Needless to say, Regulus couldn't wait until they could preform it.

The studio was planning to do a small showcase of the dance before they performed it at the schools. Sirius, Remus, and James were all coming to watch, and they knew how excited Regulus was for the performance.

When the weekend of the showcase arrived, Regulus was practically bouncing off the walls during their breakfast. "You guys are going to love it! I have to say, I think it's one of the best pieces this year." They listened to Regulus talk and talk. Regulus knew he was probably annoying them, but he didn't care enough to stop. "They gave me a turning section, Sirius, and I've nailed it every practice. I really think you'll like it!" He kept talking. He was really excited.

"It's almost time for you to go get ready, Reggie. I promise you I will tell you how much I liked it after the showcase. I love you, now go get ready to blow us away!" Regulus giggled.

"Trying to get rid of me? I can't believe you! I love you too, Siri. Bye, you three!" With that Regulus started walking to the auditorium. It wasn't that long of a walk. He chatted with his friends as he got ready. He stretched out like normal, and soon enough, it was time to run through it a few times. They didn't need to, but it always helped.

The choreographer played the music, and everyone marked the dance. After a few times of doing that, the were told that the stage was ready.

They quietly made their way to the stage, and they took their spots. The staff had lowered the curtain, so they were able to shift around a little. Eventually, the curtain began rising, and everyone stopped moving. Regulus took a deep breath, and he waited for the music to start.

When it did, Regulus let himself be carried by it. He let himself feel the beat, and he played with emotions on his face. As he went to start his turn sequence, there was a sharp pain just above his heel. He ignored it, but in the middle of the section, he felt a snapping sensation. He fell.

He fell for the first time ever on stage. He felt pain shoot up his leg, and he grimaced. He tried getting back up and continued, but it was like his ankle stopped working. He felt tears well in his eyes as the pain sparked. He pressed his forehead into the stage, and he wished for the pain to go away. He felt arms slip around his back, and his let himself be carried away.

He tried putting his foot down, but he instantly brought it back up when pain flash through his leg. He heard people asking him questions, but he could really focus. He gasped when someone put pressure on the back of his calf. He couldn't stop himself from yelling out, "Fuck!" He squeezed his eyes tight at the pain.

"Regulus, I think you tore your achilles' tendon." The world stopped. He knew what that meant. Regulus snapped his eyes open, and he was face to face when his dance teacher. She had a sad look on her face. He began shaking his head, and she tried saying something. He cut her off.

"No, no, you're lying. You have to be joking," Regulus looked down at his calf about to try and prove he's fine. He was shocked when he's calf was already beginning to swell.

"Regulus, is your brother here?" At Regulus' nod she continued talking. "You need to go to the hospital. Where is he?" Regulus felt tears well in his eyes once again. He shook his head. This can't be happening. "Regulus, where-" She was cut off by his brother.

"Oh my god, Regulus!" Sirius sounded out of breath. Regulus tore his eyes away from his leg to look at his brother. He saw Sirius pause briefly before rushing over. "Reg, oh my, Regulus, what-" Sirius looked like he was about to start freaking out when Regulus' dance teacher cut him off.

"Sirius, Regulus needed to be taken to the emergency room; can you do that?" Sirius instantly began nodding.

"Yes, of course. Come on, Reggie." Sirius carefully picked Regulus up. Regulus could feel Sirius' hands shaking as he did. "Reggie, can you reach in my back pocket for my phone," Sirius asked as he quickly walked towards the exit. Regulus did as he was asked. "Call James." Regulus did. He held the phone up to Sirius' ear as it began ringing. His own hands shaking slightly. "Hey, James, you're going to have to take Remus in your car. We're going to the emergency room. Yeah, no, I think he tore his achilles' tendon, James. Okay, yes, love you too. Hurry." Regulus hung up when Sirius nodded at him. He was hit with cool air. They were outside.

He tried to stop the tears flowing down his face, but he couldn't. Each time he began calming down he would either get hit with another wave of pain or he would realize how much this will effect him. He can't dance. He won't be able to dance anymore.

"Siri, Siri," Regulus whimpered quietly to his brother. "I can't dance anymore. Siri, it's over. Siri, it can't- this can't be how it ends, please. Please, please, please," Regulus whispered tugging on his brother. Sirius held him tighter.

"You're going to be okay, Regulus. You're going to get better. It'll be okay, Reggie," Sirius tried comforting. Regulus freaked out when Sirius began moving him. "Can you stand on your good foot for a second? I need to open the car door." Regulus stood up on a shaky leg. His other leg was bent up behind him. He let Sirius pick him up again, and he was placed in the passenger seat of Remus' car. Sirius only had a motorcycle.

Regulus cried out in pain when the car would shake a little too much. He squeezed the side of his seat, trying to ignore the pain. Tears continued rolling down his face as his brother tried comforting him.

Eventually, Sirius was picking him up again, and they were making their way into the emergency room. "It's okay, Reggie." Sirius whispered as he practically ran with Regulus in his arms. Regulus was sat in a chair, and he forced himself to let go of Sirius. He watched through blurry eyes as Sirius quickly filled out the form. Sirius came to sit next to him, and Regulus sat there in pain for ten minutes before his name was called. Sirius helped him up, and they made their way to the doctor. Regulus zoned out for most of it. He didn't want to hear what was being said. He heard the word 'surgery' and more tears fell down his face.

"Regulus, they're going to give you some pain medicine then they're going to take you to an in-patient room. You're going to have to start getting prepared for surgery," Sirius whispered into his ear, noticing he wasn't listening. Regulus looked at him with tears still flowing out of his eyes.

"Siri," Regulus pleased. He hated this. Why did this have to happen to him?