1

Kyle Stanton, of the law office Greengrass, Morton, and Stanton, was proud of his new home. It was on a quiet street in Little Whinging, Surrey called Privet Drive. He wouldn't ordinarily have chosen a home in this area, because it was populated for the most part by non magicals, but he thought he could find a small slice of peace and quiet here. Peace and quiet was important to Kyle Stanton, since he worked as a solicitor in the Wizarding world. But that was to be expected, as Kyle was a wizard himself.

He was carrying some boxes into his new home when he heard shouting from the house next door. Putting the box down just inside and closing the door, he walked carefully toward the sound of the shouting. Just as he was about to ring the doorbell, he glanced toward the window. What he saw through that window caused bile to rise in his throat.

A large man, obviously overweight, was shaking a small boy with black hair. After a few moments of shaking, the man threw the boy into a small cupboard under the stairs and locked the door.

"Upset little Dudley again, you freak! That's another week of no meals!" Kyle heard the man shout.

Kyle couldn't understand what the boy said in reply, but he did hear what the man shouted back.

"Your Aunt Petunia will be back from the market in an hour. You'll be let out then so you can make dinner. Any more whining, and you'll feel my belt!"

Knowing he needed to get the name of this man to make a report of what he saw, Kyle rang the doorbell.

When the door opened, the overweight man's face was red. Plastering a smile on his face, Kyle held out his hand in greeting.

"Hello, I'm sorry to disturb you, but I just moved to the neighborhood and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kyle Stanton. I hope you don't mind me saying so, but the garden looks lovely."

"I'll tell my wife you said so. I'm Vernon Dursley. New to the neighborhood, you say?"

"Yes, I needed peace and quiet away from work, so even though it will be a commute to London, I thought this area was perfect. I work as a solicitor."

The smile that crossed Vernon Dursley's face upon hearing that sickened Kyle. He'd met several people in the course of his work like this man. Social climber, always on the lookout for the 'right sort' of people to be friendly with, hoping to raise or better their own status. If it weren't for the sake of the boy he'd seen, Kyle wouldn't have bothered.

"A solicitor? That takes a lot of work, as well as determination to see it through."

"Yes, it does. But as I said, I just moved in, and need to get back to unloading everything. The moving company that rented me the vehicle wants it back before four, and it's already half two. Dirty, backbreaking work, but why pay moving men if you don't need to, right?"

"Quite right. No need to spend money when you don't need to."

"I was hoping to put in a garden in the next few days after I unpack. Your wife's garden, as I said, is lovely. Do you think she would like to give me some advice, possibly some help with that?"

"Oh, well Petunia planned the garden, but she doesn't like grubbing around on the ground. She had her nephew plant the garden, actually, after she told him where she wanted everything. I can mention you'd like some help with that when she comes home from the market."

"Thank you, Mr. Dursley. I'd best be going now. I have a lot of work to do, and my office can only spare me for today because of the move."

After Vernon closed the door, Kyle walked quickly to the vehicle that held his possessions. While the view from the street was obscured, he shrunk the rest of his things, placing them in another box, and carried it inside his new home. He decided to put off unpacking for a bit, and walked over to the newly installed Floo. He knew the names Vernon and Petunia Dursley from somewhere, and his assistant in the office would be able to help him find out why. There was also the matter of the small, black haired boy he'd seen Vernon shaking through the window.

"Greengrass, Morton, and Stanton, office of Kyle Stanton," he said into the flames.

"Yes, this is the office of Kyle…oh, Mr. Stanton, hello! What can I do for you, sir?" his assistant, Deborah Parker asked, recognizing him.

"Deborah, can you go through the files for me please? No further back than nine or ten years. I met one of my new neighbors today, and his name sounded familiar, as did the name of his wife. I need to know if this couple was involved or mentioned in anything to do with any of our clients. If you find anything, let me know immediately."

"Sure thing, Mr. Stanton. It might take a day or two, but I can look. What are the names of the couple?"

"Their names are Vernon and Petunia Dursley. Number 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey. I saw Mr. Dursley shaking a small boy with black hair today through their window, and need to find out if I should call Aurors or the Muggle police."

"I'll begin looking right away, Mr. Stanton. I'll let you know if I find anything."

"Thank you, Deborah. I hope to be unpacked later today, so should be in the office tomorrow. I'd like whatever you can find as soon as I come in, if you haven't already contacted me."

"Yes sir. I'll see you tomorrow."