4

Krogund turned a few pages in the Potter account ledger, silently running a clawed finger down the list of entries. If Kyle had to make a guess based on body language, he would say that Krogund was becoming enraged. The longer he looked over the ledger, the slower and more precise his movements became. His posture stiffened, and his jaw clenched. Whatever he saw in the ledger was definitely not good news.

"There have definitely been withdrawals made from the Potter account, ostensibly for the care of the Potter heir, Harry James Potter. All from December of 1981, almost two months after James and Lily Potter were killed. I believe that you would like a copy of the withdrawals, and to whom they were sent?"

"If that is permitted, yes. It can only help me as I try to aid young Mr. Potter, if he is, indeed, in the care of Vernon and Petunia Dursley. I should be able to find that out in the next day or so. May I assume you would want that verification as well?"

"You assume correctly, Mr. Stanton. There is also a bit of information I can pass on to you based on your status as the Potters solicitor, since if I am reading the guardianship clauses correctly, would directly affect young Mr. Potter."

"What information is that, Krogund?"

"Every time someone who has an account with Gringotts is convicted of a crime and sent to prison, Gringotts is sent the information which would include arrest and booking number, trial transcripts, trial verdict, and prisoner number, along with the name of the prison if it is not Azkaban, so Gringotts may place the account in stasis-on hold or freezing the account in other words-until the account holder is released so no one else may access the funds contained in the account. In the guardianship clause of the Potter will, tell me, does your copy mention the name Sirius Black in any way?"

Quickly scanning the document to find the relevant section, Kyle carefully read through the clause, and noted the wishes made in the will. He looked up to meet Krogund's gaze.

"It says that Sirius Black, oath bonded Godfather to Harry James Potter, was to take custody of Harry Potter in the event of the deaths of both James and Lily Potter. But Sirius Black has been in Azkaban for the last seven years, allegedly for betraying the Potters and killing twelve or thirteen Muggles. This doesn't make sense, and raises even more questions. Do you have the information you described about Sirius Black?"

"The only information Gringotts was provided was the date Mr. Black was incarcerated in Azkaban and his prisoner number. No other information was given. As such, the Black account is still active. Perhaps this could open an additional avenue to aid young Mr. Potter, should the child in question be verified as Harry James Potter?"

"It will take a bit more investigating, but it will help indeed, Krogund. My thanks."

"Then let me make you a copy of the withdrawal information for the Potter file before you leave."

"As he apparently never received a trial according to the information you have, I'm going to assume Sirius Black has no solicitor of record for this matter. Whether or not the Black family has a solicitor on retainer, I have no idea. I will however, find out and get back to you about that."

"And if there is no solicitor on retainer, you wish to be considered Mr. Black's solicitor?"

"Until I can travel to Azkaban and speak to Sirius Black myself to confirm, if there is no solicitor on retainer for the Black family, either myself, or someone in my office, will stand as his solicitor pro tem. It most likely would be someone from my office, to avoid conflict of interest, although we would be working together. I would like the information you described when I'm able to contact you regarding Sirius Black."

Krogund quickly made a copy of the withdrawal information and passed it to Kyle, who added it to the Potter file.

"May all your adversaries fall before you, Mr. Stanton," Krogund intoned, standing to signal the meeting was over.