11

Albus Dumbledore had just returned to his office in Hogwarts following the July session of the Wizengamot. He was irritable due to the long session, but was trying not to show it. He noted there was a large stack of mail on his desk, but decided to put off reading it until after he'd had a cup of tea.

After he finished his tea, he started on the large stack of mail. There were several letters from parents who were upset about the grades their children had gotten; another group of letters were from various members of the Order of the Phoenix, asking him his opinion on various things to do with the Order, and two from Arabella Figg. Sighing, he opened the first letter from Arabella.

Albus, I'm worried. Usually I see Harry working out in the yard when I take my evening walks, but I haven't seen him for at least two days. Do you think someone from the Order could come look in on him? Who knows what is going on with his relatives in that house?

Albus sighed, believing Arabella to be overreacting again. It was likely the boy was staying inside due to the heat. It was summer, after all. Reluctantly, he opened her second letter. If it was more of the same, he might send someone in the Order to Privet Drive just to ease her mind a bit. Harry was perfectly fine with his relatives; family always looked out for family.

Albus, something is terribly wrong. The Dursleys were arrested this morning, and I haven't been able to find Harry anywhere in the area while walking around. One of the other neighbors told me their son had been taken to a foster home to stay. What should I do?

He checked the date of the second letter quickly. Fortunately, it had been sent that morning. He needed to find out exactly what was going on; Harry wouldn't have the protection he needed if he didn't live with the Dursleys. After letting Minerva know he was leaving the school for an emergency, he Flooed to the Leaky Cauldron, then apparated to Arabella Figg's home. He needed answers, and quickly.

OOO

Harry looked around at the small room. It didn't look large enough to hold the few chairs and table inside, much less the podium at the front. He was glad when Lord Black led him to a chair off to the side. He was sure he would somehow mess up and get in trouble.

"Harry, while you're here, unless someone asks you a question, you don't have to say anything. You aren't in any trouble, and did nothing wrong. We're here to make sure that you can always stay with someone who will take good care of you, understand?" Kyle asked.

"Okay, Mr. Stanton. Are my aunt and uncle going to be here, too?"

"No, Harry, they'll be talking to a different magistrate. Now, they're about to begin, so best behavior, yeah?"

Seeing that Harry understood, Kyle walked over to one of the other chairs and sat down. A moment later everyone was asked to stand as the magistrate entered the room.

"This hearing is to determine what is in the best interest of the minor child Harry James Potter. There is a report in front of me from the DfE, as well as a medical report from the Manchester Clinic regarding Mr. Potter's current health. Mr. Stanton, you brought a petition to have a guardian ad litem assigned for the child. How did you become aware of the situation?" the magistrate asked.

"I moved into the house next door to Vernon and Petunia Dursley recently, sir. While I was moving boxes from the vehicle I rented to my new home, I saw a man shaking a child through the window of the house. After shaking the child, the man shoved him into a small cupboard under the stairs and shut the door. That child was Mr. Potter, and I introduced myself to that man in order to learn his name for my report to the DfE."

"And did you meet the child at that time?"

"No, sir, I met the child later. He had been outside and a group of boys-one of whom I know now is his cousin, the son of the man who had been shaking him-surrounded him, telling him to run. From what I was able to hear, the other boys wanted to play a 'game' as they called it, apparently named 'Harry Hunting'. His cousin is the one who kept telling him to run, and one of the other boys mentioned it wouldn't be a 'good hunt' if the 'prey' didn't run. Not liking the sound of that, I opened my back door a bit and went to the front yard. I pretended to bump into young Mr. Potter and whispered to him that my back door was open if he needed a place to hide, and after he began running, I also pretended to bump into the other boys to give young Mr. Potter time to go into my kitchen-where the back door of my house opens onto-and then returned to my house. When I asked him about what I had heard, he told me 'Harry Hunting' is a 'game' his cousin had made up for himself and his friends. It consisted of chasing young Mr. Potter until they caught him, and then beating him up. I informed Mr. Potter of what I do for a living, as a way to prove he wouldn't be hurt in my home, and he asked if I thought he needed a solicitor himself."